nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Start Menu Search (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=137423)

seeker 08-15-09 09:41 AM

Start Menu Tweaks

I just noticed that using this function on the Start menu, which says that it searches for both programs and files, doesn't. I tried to find a couple of Windows files that I knew the location of, and the search couldn't find them. I have the system set to show all files and folders (hidden and protected), so it appears that this search feature is not as comprehensive as it has been in past OSs. Is there another search function that I haven't found?

Lfctony 08-15-09 10:33 AM

Re: Start Menu Search

Start windows explorer, go to my computer and search using the upper right thingie...

ViN86 08-15-09 12:05 PM

Also, I don't know if the Start Menu Search only searches indexed files or not.

I know that the Explorer search in the upper right will find non-indexed files, it just takes a little longer to do so. (not so long that it warrants indexing all your files imo).

sniggle 08-15-09 12:41 PM

If you type "indexing" into that box and go into the Indexing Options you can add more locations. I'm not actually sure if this affects the start menu search but I would imagine it does.

Buio 08-15-09 03:02 PM

As sniggle says, you has to set additional search location with the indexing options (also available in the control panel). Default is your user documents folder and start menu and possible mail.

seeker 08-15-09 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniggle (Post 2067973)
If you type "indexing" into that box and go into the Indexing Options you can add more locations. I'm not actually sure if this affects the start menu search but I would imagine it does.

Yes, the location selected by default did not include the majority of the files on the W7 partition, so I added that, but it didn't appear to make the Start Menu Search any more effective than before. I'm wondering if that indexing option didn't include this, what it did include?

seeker 08-15-09 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lfctony (Post 2067928)
Start windows explorer, go to my computer and search using the upper right thingie...

I hope that I can find a better option than this, because I never use Windows Explorer, because I prefer another file manager that I have installed. If I have to break out W.E. everytime that I want to run a search, it would be very inconvenient.

seeker 08-16-09 12:59 AM

After letting this rebuild the index, it now appears that the Start Menu Search is working properly.

ViN86 08-16-09 10:21 AM

What kind of files are you searching for and where are they?

If they're in your Documents folder then it should have no problem finding them. If they're system files, then it won't show them because they don't want regular users finding those files and FUBAR'ing their systems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeker (Post 2068248)
After letting this rebuild the index, it now appears that the Start Menu Search is working properly.

*Looks at this post*

*Looks at my post from yesterday*

:|

seeker 08-16-09 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2068362)
What kind of files are you searching for and where are they?

If they're in your Documents folder then it should have no problem finding them. If they're system files, then it won't show them because they don't want regular users finding those files and FUBAR'ing their systems.

*Looks at this post*

*Looks at my post from yesterday*

:|

I'm not sure what you want me to look at in these posts, because it appears that the Start Menu Search is finding system files, now that I added the C: drive to the index and rebuilt it...although it did list some excludes. I'm not yet sure exactly what it did exclude, because each search that I have tried so far has found what I searched for.

For me, that someone else might "fubar" something is not an issue, because I'm the sole operator of this system.

seeker 08-16-09 10:50 AM

Another Start Menu issue that I'm looking for a solution to, is to totally disable the recent programs menu. I already have it disabled in the sense that programs don't appear on it, but I want to eliminate that part of the Start Menu entirely. As is, when I select the Start Menu, the recent program menu still appears as a blank, requiring me to select the All Program menu to see anything. I would prefer it to automatically show the All Programs menu from the start.

Buio 08-16-09 05:26 PM

Not possible with default UI afaik. If someone finds a way, I'd be happy too know it too.