nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Steam Support (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=137468)

six_storm 08-16-09 09:32 AM

Steam Support
 
So I'm in the process of getting Win7 Enterprise x64 on the wifey's laptop and thought about doing the same to the gaming rig. However, after reading about Win7 RTM and a few games I've been playing, there is no official support (this is a no-brainer for right now).

I'm just wondering for those who have already installed Win7 as your main OS, how many of you run Steam and Steam games, and how is everything? I'm debating real hard on waiting until the official release date until upgrading just to make sure all of my games are working:

Team Fortress 2
GTA4
Half Life 2
L4D
Crysis Warhead
CoD4

Thanks for all input!

|MaguS| 08-16-09 09:38 AM

Re: Steam Support
 
All the games listed work just fine, not a single issue. Im running Windows 7 64bit.

six_storm 08-16-09 07:51 PM

Re: Steam Support
 
Thanks. Maybe I'll switch it over this week when I get the chance, when I get some time. I still haven't swapped the wifey's laptop over . . .

fasedww 08-16-09 09:10 PM

Re: Steam Support
 
I might do the same, do we have to reinstall all games from download, or can will save the steam folder, and let it rewrite over the new one in win 7.:)

six_storm 08-16-09 09:39 PM

Re: Steam Support
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fasedww (Post 2068674)
I might do the same, do we have to reinstall all games from download, or can will save the steam folder, and let it rewrite over the new one in win 7.:)

You can just transfer your "steamapps" folder, that's what I'll be doing since I have around 100GB or so! ;)

K007 08-16-09 11:37 PM

Re: Steam Support
 
what six says. mines pretty massive as well. all u do is copy the folder to another hdd or something. after os installtion. install steam. then copy the folder back to ure new steam folder and all ure games will be installed if not minor small downloads will happen to probably setup the registry/keys/etc.

Sazar 08-16-09 11:43 PM

Re: Steam Support
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm (Post 2068378)
So I'm in the process of getting Win7 Enterprise x64 on the wifey's laptop and thought about doing the same to the gaming rig. However, after reading about Win7 RTM and a few games I've been playing, there is no official support (this is a no-brainer for right now).

I'm just wondering for those who have already installed Win7 as your main OS, how many of you run Steam and Steam games, and how is everything? I'm debating real hard on waiting until the official release date until upgrading just to make sure all of my games are working:

Team Fortress 2
GTA4
Half Life 2
L4D
Crysis Warhead
CoD4

Thanks for all input!

All games good here.

K007 08-17-09 04:14 AM

Re: Steam Support
 
punkbuster...

crainger 08-17-09 05:00 AM

Re: Steam Support
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2068718)
what six says. mines pretty massive as well. all u do is copy the folder to another hdd or something. after os installtion. install steam. then copy the folder back to ure new steam folder and all ure games will be installed if not minor small downloads will happen to probably setup the registry/keys/etc.

This is the best way. If you use the built in backup it will often download the games instead of using th backup for some strange reason. ::(:

K007 08-17-09 05:46 AM

Re: Steam Support
 
lol yea ive used that once for cod4 and it was taking for eva. i find the copy paste so much easier. and like six i got about 100gb+ on steam.

bacon12 08-17-09 12:33 PM

Re: Steam Support
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2068789)
punkbuster...

Yup last time I tried PB still does not support 7, but every game I tried ran fine.

fasedww 08-17-09 01:00 PM

Re: Steam Support
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2068718)
what six says. mines pretty massive as well. all u do is copy the folder to another hdd or something. after os installtion. install steam. then copy the folder back to ure new steam folder and all ure games will be installed if not minor small downloads will happen to probably setup the registry/keys/etc.

yeah' thats what I'm going to do, Soon as I get the retail win 7 home premium. Going to install on two 300 gig raptors in raid.:D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.