nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Win 7 Not remembering window settings argh!! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=137801)

LurkerLito 08-23-09 09:11 PM

Win 7 Not remembering window settings argh!!

I have to vent a bit. This little new feature of Win 7 is absolutely the worst thing about it and it's driving me nuts. How can MS not have brought over this functionality from win XP and screwed it up in vista and not corrected it in Win 7 is just insane IMO.

Win 7 just won't remember where I place my open windows. It's absolutely stupid. On every reboot any of the open windows I had open will move to new locations. If I open the Games tab it takes on the same position and size settings as the Computer window. If I change the games window then open the computer, the computer window becomes the same size and position as the games one. If you open any folder it only takes the size and position settings from the previously opened window. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed to be like it was when it was functional in windows XP! Vista broke the way it worked it couldn't seem to always remember what windows were open, but it seemed to be fine remembering the positions and sizes of the windows you had previously opened. Win 7 remembers what windows you had open previously but can't remember any of the size, positions or settings.

I bought a $10 utility to get it to remember the size and positions, but it doesn't seem to be able to catch the Computer one or the Games one. *sigh*

mythy 08-25-09 01:47 PM

Re: Win 7 Not remembering window settings argh!!

wow thats like gay... You actually bought a utility for that! So lame... I mean windows 7 of chores ;)

Bearclaw 08-25-09 01:49 PM

Hmm, well the utility might have not been the best choice but I know your pain. I have had problems with this in XP, Vista, and 7. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

ViN86 08-25-09 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LurkerLito (Post 2072492)
I have to vent a bit. This little new feature of Win 7 is absolutely the worst thing about it and it's driving me nuts. How can MS not have brought over this functionality from win XP and screwed it up in vista and not corrected it in Win 7 is just insane IMO.

Win 7 just won't remember where I place my open windows. It's absolutely stupid. On every reboot any of the open windows I had open will move to new locations. If I open the Games tab it takes on the same position and size settings as the Computer window. If I change the games window then open the computer, the computer window becomes the same size and position as the games one. If you open any folder it only takes the size and position settings from the previously opened window. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed to be like it was when it was functional in windows XP! Vista broke the way it worked it couldn't seem to always remember what windows were open, but it seemed to be fine remembering the positions and sizes of the windows you had previously opened. Win 7 remembers what windows you had open previously but can't remember any of the size, positions or settings.

I bought a $10 utility to get it to remember the size and positions, but it doesn't seem to be able to catch the Computer one or the Games one. *sigh*

Probably doesn't have the required permissions to move/mess with explorer.exe

Try running the program as Admin

S.SubZero 08-25-09 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw (Post 2073572)
Hmm, well the utility might have not been the best choice but I know your pain. I have had problems with this in XP, Vista, and 7. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

In Windows 7 they completely took it out. The check box for remembering folder settings has even been removed.

For the record, I never had this problem in XP, and only had trouble with the folder type in Vista before using the fix for it. Neither one, nor any Windows OS back as far as Windows 95, and even pre-NT OS/2, had problems remembering window positions and sizes. For reasons unknown they completely removed this ability from Windows 7, and I do not know how I'm supposed to do extensive Explorer-related thigs anymore.

LurkerLito 08-25-09 03:15 PM

In case anyone wants it here is that app I bought:
http://www.desksoft.com/WindowManager.htm

There is a new 1.2 version and it looks like it's catching the Computer and Games windows settings now :). You can download it and try it out for 30 days if you need this functionality. Unfortunately its something that should have been built into Win 7.

Quote:

FYI in XP it worked perfectly I think you only needed to change one registry setting to increase the number of folder settings it would remember. In vista it was hit and miss. It only kind of worked right. I was always hoping they'd fix it. In 7 they just took it out completely and I thought that was just horrible. It was like they couldn't get it working in vista so they just removed it. I would have settled for how it worked in vista, it wasn't perfect but at least sometimes it worked.

Yaboze 08-25-09 10:10 PM

This bugs me too and it bugged me in Vista.

There was that reg setting thing, it kinda helped, but it wasn't perfect.

What's also nuts is certain windows will save their size and position, then you open a totally different window and it takes on that saved windows shape for some reason!

There definitely is a problem it remembering the Games window.

wysiwyg 11-26-09 05:23 AM

parkerlindsey stop talking crap

and once again this is for windows 7 NOT vista nub!

Riptide 12-10-09 10:14 AM

Windows 7 drives me nuts with this crap. It won't remember individual last window positions.

So for instance if I open up my computer and then open up another folder on my desktop. I move the second folder way off to the right. I then close my computer. Then I close the window I moved way off to the right.

I go to open up my computer and it opens up way off to the right. :/
If you have no windows open and then goto open one it will always open it up in the last location of the last window you closed no matter what it was.

Q 01-21-10 08:43 AM

A fix is available!

http://lifehacker.com/5453655/shellf...k-to-windows-7

nekrosoft13 01-21-10 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw (Post 2073572)

this feature would often break in xp and vista, where the size/position "database" in the registry grew to large and started causing issues, sizes and positions got all mixed up.

that is probably why it was removed.

wwec 01-21-10 11:36 AM

I use an ancient piece of software for this, has worked from the Win2000 days up to and including 7 :)

http://aroundcny.com/Technofile/texts/tec080199.html