nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   John Carmack: "We have no plans to leave the PC Market" (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=137836)

Intel17 08-24-09 02:05 PM

John Carmack: "We have no plans to leave the PC Market"

Even though id Software seems to be going multiplatform, it appears that they do not plan to leave the PC market.

I sent John Carmack the following email:
Quote:

Do you think that the PC platform will still be viable for high-budget, triple-A titles down the road?
And about 30 seconds later, I recieved this very reassuring reply:

Quote:

John Carmack says:
We have no plans to leave the PC market.
This is very good news, yes? At least id won't be turning into Epic...

Destroy 08-24-09 02:21 PM

Re: John Carmack: "We have no plans to leave the PC Market"

He replied to your email? Nice.

Rage will be a good id consolitis test on whether they still know how to do their PC stuff properly.

Slightly OT but did I read the other day that Rage will be OpenGL only on PC??!!

Intel17 08-24-09 02:26 PM

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/08/..._version_rage/

Quote:

John Carmack says
The PC and Mac versions are still OpenGL 2.x. We are not currently scheduling native linux ports. It isn't out of the question, but I don't think we will be able to justify the work. If there are hundreds of thousands of linux users playing Quake Live when we are done with Rage, that would certainly influence our decision...
So yeah, OpenGL on PC and Mac.

Quick420 08-24-09 02:37 PM

Please JC leave,concentrate on the cell-phone market you tool:captnkill:

Mr. Hunt 08-24-09 02:41 PM

What does John Carmack have to do with AAA titles? ;)

Ancient76 08-24-09 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt (Post 2072909)

Nothing!

jAkUp 08-24-09 02:51 PM

I don't think anyone ever doubted that id would leave the PC Market.

pakotlar 08-24-09 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt (Post 2072909)

Oh, just 95% of the design decisions of the incorporated graphics & physics engine. Carmack shouldn't be judged on whether or not the game turns out to be AAA (Doom 3 was btw ~ 90% avg. from most large sites, 87% on metacritic, regardless of whether or not we agree with that...), because that's much more on the rest of the team. Carmack's biggest influence is definetely on the graphic side, the art side, and while I'm sure he has a lot of influence in terms of gameplay decisions, that's not his role, and when complaining about the gameplay of a title, you should look to the people who have pivotal leverage there.

pakotlar 08-24-09 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAkUp (Post 2072926)
I don't think anyone ever doubted that id would leave the PC Market.

Leave? Or put to the sideroad, behind the shrubs, behind the fields, behind the mountains, in a dark cave? The latter we're all concerned about.

Intel17 08-24-09 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakotlar (Post 2072931)
Leave? Or put to the sideroad, behind the shrubs, behind the fields, behind the mountains, in a dark cave? The latter we're all concerned about.

Well, it appears that they're developing Rage around the specs of the 360 (if it runs smoothly at 60 fps on a 360...), so it's not like they can do super-amazing-crysis type stuff. However, he did mention that DOOM 4 would be a 30Hz game on the 360/PS3, so us PC'ers will have a framerate advantage (the ones with super high end stuff, anyway).

Yaboze 08-24-09 03:09 PM

Some people are probably thinking id would leave....due to companies like Epic and to a lesser extent, EA/Activision with consolitus.

I wrote Carmack once, back in the Quake 3 days, he wrote me back the same day and was very cool. It was a question about Quake 3's client prediction, two people would grab a gun at the same time and it would give you the gun for a second then take it away because the other guy did get it first. This was during Quake 3 Test when they were still tweaking network latency to hitting targets and picking up stuff, etc.

Intel17 08-24-09 03:22 PM

Carmack's usually really cool about answering people if he has time. I think he's pretty awesome :D