nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   ICh10r raid and 7rtm 64 bit (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138319)

bacon12 09-04-09 06:20 PM

ICh10r raid and 7rtm 64 bit

I am about to pull my hair out trying to get the preload driver to work, and get it installed. Been at it for at least 2 hours now, and why in the hell does 7 force you to create an additional partition for system file no matter how large the install partition is?

I am using the driver for 7 from the intel site, but things just aren't going well at all. When I try to format I get a failed to format the selected partiton [Error0x80070057]

Anyone have any tips that can help me out im dieing here, and ready to say the hell with 7 and put vista back on it:flame:.

mailman2 09-04-09 06:52 PM

Re: ICh10r raid and 7rtm 64 bit

For the first time ever I used raid when I installed Win7 RTM. Using a GB UD3P with ICH10R. It was cake to setup Raid 0 on two of my WD 640GB blacks. Didnt need a driver for the install or anything.

I did the install from USB thumbdrive. Just went in, enabled RAID on the Intel ICH10R controller. Chose Raid 0 striping and chose the drives to use. Went into the installation saw it as one HD and just installed. Haven't had a problem since, was the easiest install possible for me.

bacon12 09-04-09 07:36 PM

I didn't have any issues when I installed one of the rc's on this machine a while back . You said you didn't need a driver or that you just loaded it from the usb stick?

These are in fact WD640 blacks, and one was from a previous intel raid server, the other two from vista in raid on this same machine. I disabled the raid and just now finished formatting them one I had to try twice it failed so it may be going bad.

Gonna try the install again now.

mailman2 09-04-09 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 2079780)
I didn't have any issues when I installed one of the rc's on this machine a while back . You said you didn't need a driver or that you just loaded it from the usb stick?

These are in fact WD640 blacks, and one was from a previous intel raid server, the other two from vista in raid on this same machine. I disabled the raid and just now finished formatting them one I had to try twice it failed so it may be going bad.

Gonna try the install again now.

Yea I didn't need any Raid drivers for the install, and my install was from a USB stick. (not a DVD). Just a stock iso of RTM, I didnt do anything to add any drivers for RAID either. So maybe you do have a drive going bad.

bacon12 09-04-09 09:09 PM

I have always loaded the intel driver during the install with vista, I don't know but this is seriously messing with my head. I even tried it with just the two drives I know were good. I am starting to think its maybe a bad iso, it checked out thou so I am ready to call it quits for today.

Its been five hours now and I haven't broken anything. Its true you do get patience with age because I would have thrown something by now a few years ago. :D

mailman2 09-04-09 09:11 PM

Strange. Just as an FYI you shouldn't need drivers for Vista install either from what I've read about ICH10R. I definitely didn't need any to load Windows 7 though.

bacon12 09-04-09 09:23 PM

Ok now I am really stumped. I can't even get a single drive to work, it says can't find a valid partition to install to even thou I formatted and created a new one.

Checkum matches, and I am gonna burn another disk. I am gonna be so pissed if it was just a bad burn, but I hope that is what it is and these drives aren't screwed.

sniggle 09-04-09 09:28 PM

I also didn't need any driver using ICH9R, not sure if 10 is different.

mailman2 09-04-09 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniggle (Post 2079814)
I also didn't need any driver using ICH9R, not sure if 10 is different.

Its basically the same but runs cooler.

bacon12 09-04-09 09:47 PM

Ok so install is now going off like it should. Apparently it was the me loading the driver that was the problem. :(

I have always done it in the past with vista and server 08, my mobo manuals tell you to do this, the x58 even had the diagrams. Even just last week I built a new server for the house, and loaded the adaptec inf just like I always have the intel one and everything worked fine. I feel like such an ass right now.

Hopefully this page will land high on google so others can be saved this misery.

I am off to spend about 15 minutes on the speed bag while its installing, that should make me feel better.Thanks for the help guys.

sniggle 09-04-09 10:08 PM

Funny enough I just sort of assume that a brand new OS can handle a very common onboard RAID driver so I decided to try it without first.