nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How can I ??? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138554)

Quick420 09-10-09 09:48 AM

How can I ???

I would like to remove my dual boot configuration and return to WinXP as my primary O/S.I currently boot XP/WIN7 RC.I will likely grab WIN7 in the future and have experienced all I need from the RC to ensure the quality of the O/S.For now I want my H/D space back.I was going to erase the partition then format it and reboot.Will WINXP still load or will the boot loader not function correctly after this operation? Anyone gone through this rig-a-mor-ol successfully?

Edit:I found this command to remove the boot loader but it will not work,I'm assuming because xp is 32 bit and win7 is 64 bit.DAMN!!!!! D:\Boot\Bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force

grey_1 09-10-09 11:55 AM

Re: How can I ???

Pretty sure you should be able to boot from your XP disc, select repair and use "fixmbr".

That should rewrite it for you.

Quick420 09-10-09 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1 (Post 2082681)
Pretty sure you should be able to boot from your XP disc, select repair and use "fixmbr".

That should rewrite it for you.

Thanks forgot all about that one.:D

grey_1 09-10-09 01:15 PM

you're welcome :)

seeker 09-10-09 04:51 PM

I've never had much luck with fixmbr, if the boot.ini is on the partition that you want to keep, I would go to the boot tab of msconfig and delete the entry for OS that you want to format, then format it.

Quick420 09-10-09 08:28 PM

I edited the boot.ini myself then formatted the partition.I had a hell of a time merging them though.It seems that windows 7 somehow slightly overlaps any partitions on a given drive.That's what Partition Magic 8 says anyways.I solved it by installing xp on the newly formatted partition,then rebooting,formatting the partition yet again and using partition magic yet again.After wiping the newly installed xp partition they merged without a hiccup.When WIN7 arrives it's getting it's own drive:p

grey_1 09-11-09 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick420 (Post 2082971)
I edited the boot.ini myself then formatted the partition.I had a hell of a time merging them though.It seems that windows 7 somehow slightly overlaps any partitions on a given drive.That's what Partition Magic 8 says anyways.I solved it by installing xp on the newly formatted partition,then rebooting,formatting the partition yet again and using partition magic yet again.After wiping the newly installed xp partition they merged without a hiccup.When WIN7 arrives it's getting it's own drive:p

Oh yeah - I gave up on OSes sharing a drive due to exactly what you're dealing with here.

No more for me :p