nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   changing back to nvidia- have questions (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138886)

wheeljack12 09-17-09 05:54 PM

changing back to nvidia- have questions

I have basically had it with AMD/ATI. I currently have two 4870x2 in xfire. One of the reasons I am sick and tired of games not playing properly. More specifically, in about 5-6 games I have wanted to play for a long time, I get graphical tearing. And it doesn't matter if I turn off xfire, turn off video card settings, change catalysts to a different version, it still happens. And I just changed my brother's pc from a sapphire 2900 xt 512mb to a bfg gtx 285 ocx 2gb. And you can guess what the 1st thing I did. I installed 2 of the 5-6 games on his system to compare. And low and behold, no graphical tearing. And I got to see what physx is like. And I like it. And I was able to turn on all of the video card settings to full on the gtx 285 (16qx AA, etc) and I was able to play with full detail. Another problem with my current video cards. There are about 2-3 games that I have to turn off AA and AF on the 4870x2's to play certain games. I will list the games and there problems below. But why I am here is to make the change to 2 gtx 295's in quad sli (I have a asus p6t deluxe mb with a i7-975 3.33ghz cpu, 12gb of ddr-1066 ram, anyhow the mb can do xfire and sli, comes with a sli connector). I know that DX11 is coming but I want to able to play games in a more stable environment now. What do you think? Money isn't a issue here and I already have someone lined up to take the 4870x2's if I go with the 295 gtx's. The only problem is that would like to go with the evga co-op ftw's or the superclocked ones. I can find the superclocked up here in Canada but I can't find the ftw's. For those with the ftw's, are they that much of a performance maker?

here are some of the games and there issues:

gears of war- graphical tearing
damnation- graphical tearing
stalker: shadows of chernobyl- graphical tearing
stalker: clear sky - Graphical tearing
transformers 2: revenge of the fallen- can't use AA or AF or the game colours of the graphics get messed up (and there is no AA or AF in the game settings to compensate)
chronicles of riddick: assault on dark athena - same as transformers 2

lee63 09-17-09 08:53 PM

Re: changing back to nvidia- have questions

Did you try vsync ingame or in the the driver ?

ATi 09-17-09 10:41 PM

When I had my 4870x2 I used D3DOverrider to fix graphical tearing.

hell_of_doom227 09-18-09 08:58 AM

Graphical tearing i had with Nvidia cards as well like couple years ago and i realized that Samsung LCD monitor i had which was considered to be really good LCD monitor was reason of it. I think your problems was your LCD. Some LCDs do not work well with certain video cards.

wheeljack12 09-18-09 11:15 AM

yes, I tried vsync in the game and with the video card drivers to no avail. As for LCD monitors, my brother and I have the exact same monitor. A Viewsonic VX2433wm 24' lcd monitor. And with his gtx 285, he gets no graphical tearing. ATi, what made you switch from your 4870x2 to a gtx 295?

ATi 09-18-09 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheeljack12 (Post 2088007)
yes, I tried vsync in the game and with the video card drivers to no avail. As for LCD monitors, my brother and I have the exact same monitor. A Viewsonic VX2433wm 24' lcd monitor. And with his gtx 285, he gets no graphical tearing. ATi, what made you switch from your 4870x2 to a gtx 295?

4870x2 died so I rma it and MSI called me and told me they didn't have any 4870x2 so they asked if I would like a GTX295 and I was like hell yes!I like the GTX295 way better than the 4870x2!cooler temps its faster! better Support/drivers and SLi works on all my games! I love MSi !

wheeljack12 09-20-09 08:26 PM

well, I went for broke and got two evga gtx 295 co-op ftw's. So, my friend gets a ati upgrade which he his happy with.