nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Boot Time (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=139259)

seeker 09-25-09 02:34 AM

Boot Time

It is consistently taking ~80 seconds to get past the Windows logo screen on each boot. I have tried disabling all startup programs in msconfig and in the Startup folder, as well as disabling all nonMS services, but there was no difference in time. What else can I try to speed it up?

mojoman0 09-25-09 02:58 AM

Re: Boot Time

get a new hard drive. New win 7 install on our older athlon pc boots like lightning.

seeker 09-25-09 03:09 AM

The drive that W7 is installed on is a new drive. The best that I remember, it was quite fast when first installed. That leads me to think that it is something that has changed software wise, but I'm not sure how to pinpoint it.

crainger 09-25-09 04:01 AM

Back in the beta a few people had issues with the GUI boot. I'm 99% sure it's fixed now, but you could try it. Wont cost you a thing except for a little time.

open msconfig and got to the boot tab. and tick no gui boot. It just turns off the fancy load screen for 7 and test.

Other than that, try new drivers for all your hardware, if that fails, try going back to the standard WDDM drivers from Microsoft. That's fiddly and time consuming and I'd only do that after a backup if it's your main rig.

seeker 09-25-09 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger (Post 2092187)
Back in the beta a few people had issues with the GUI boot. I'm 99% sure it's fixed now, but you could try it. Wont cost you a thing except for a little time.

open msconfig and got to the boot tab. and tick no gui boot. It just turns off the fancy load screen for 7 and test.

I just tried that, and there wasn't any change...not only of time, but the load screen and the rest of the sequence was exactly the same as before.
Quote:

Other than that, try new drivers for all your hardware, if that fails, try going back to the standard WDDM drivers from Microsoft. That's fiddly and time consuming and I'd only do that after a backup if it's your main rig.
I have a hunch that the problem is with some driver, but which is the question. Long ago, there was a program call boot configurator, or something like that, that timed the loading of each and every driver, so it was easy to see where the slowdown was. Unfortunately, I don't think that there is anything like that now.

Msconfig's boot tab also has options Boot Log and OS Boot Info, which I also tried, thinking it might provide some info like the program that I just mentioned, but after rebooting, I looked around the files and found nothing that appeared to be related. The only thing that seems to work on the boot tab is the window for setting the default boot entry in a multi-boot setup.

crainger 09-25-09 08:12 AM

Sounds like there is more going on here than drivers if only one option works on that tab. They all work for me. No GUI boot does exactly what is says and now I get is a blank screen.

I'm inclined to say it's a corrupt OS install if core options aren't working.

seeker 09-25-09 01:15 PM

You may well be right, but since this installation is already destined to be replaced in ~a month, I guess I can tolerate it as it is til then.

methimpikehoses 09-25-09 01:16 PM

My boot is pretty slow in Win7 RC, but not 80 seconds... more like 25.

crainger 09-25-09 05:04 PM

Why still on RC meth? RTM has been for awhile now. My boot is around 10 seconds to login, then 5ish for all start up apps including Steam to load.

seeker 09-25-09 05:17 PM

I would imagine that he is like me, and doesn't have access to the RTM until Oct. 22.

betterdan 09-25-09 06:36 PM

From the first bios screen to being logged into Windows and able to use programs takes about 45 seconds on mine.

Yaboze 09-26-09 04:18 PM

Not all of us have access to RTM until 10/22. I can't wait to ditch this dirty 7100 build.

I got a new HD and everything.