nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140264)

alanw 10-20-09 03:52 AM

HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone.

I thought i open up a new thread about this.

I need a little help to get hdmi audio on the new nvidia G210, GT220 cards.

With latest Alsa drivers the audio device of the card is not shown at all, but i was able to patch alsa-driver code to recognize the G210 card's HDMI audio device. It was not easy. I had to boot into Win7 to do it :thumbdwn:

In Win7 i got 4 (!!!) different hdmi device in the device manager. All 4 devices had the following hardware id:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_10DE&CTLR_DEV_0BE3&VEN_10 DE&DEV_000B&REV_1001

With this information i made a patch to yesterday's alsa-driver snapshot to enable these HDA and nvidia hw vendor and device ids.I attached the patch.

Now it is showing as card 0, device 3 hdmi device just like MCP7A ones on the motherboards.

The difference is that alsamixer is showing 4 different pcm devices (like in Win7) Maybe it has some hardware mixing capability ?

the main problem is that i can not get audio to sound.

speaker test -Dhw:0,3 -c2

work, but receiver does not give any sound.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4...amixer1.th.jpg http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/2264/alsamixer2.th.jpg http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6136/outputu.th.jpg

Anyone form nvidia can you help to get this working ?

global 10-23-09 05:20 PM

Re: HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)
 
Hi alanw, same issue reported with GT240M, check this post: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=139657

alanw 10-23-09 06:44 PM

Re: HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by global (Post 2110079)
Hi alanw, same issue reported with GT240M, check this post: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=139657

I think we need help from nvidia about these four devices should work.

michald 11-04-09 09:02 PM

Re: HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)
 
Any progress on this at all? I'm thinking of putting my 8600GS back in my HTPC until this can be resolved.

alanw 11-05-09 05:11 AM

Re: HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by michald (Post 2117367)
Any progress on this at all? I'm thinking of putting my 8600GS back in my HTPC until this can be resolved.

Unfortunately i have not got any help eighter from Alsa devs nor nvidia devs in this matter. :(

dougdeep 11-05-09 02:33 PM

Re: HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 2107635)
:

In Win7 i got 4 (!!!) different hdmi device in the device manager. All 4 devices had the following hardware id:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_10DE&CTLR_DEV_0BE3&VEN_10 DE&DEV_000B&REV_1001

I think you could have use lspci with various options in Linux to retrieve all your Vendor, Device, and subdevice ids. Give that a shot.

alanw 11-05-09 07:13 PM

Re: HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougdeep (Post 2117910)
I think you could have use lspci with various options in Linux to retrieve all your Vendor, Device, and subdevice ids. Give that a shot.

I solved the hw/vendor id thing. Now it is showing when aplay -l but it has 4 different pcm devices with none of them giving any sound.

ysammy 11-19-09 06:37 PM

Re: HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 2118140)
I solved the hw/vendor id thing. Now it is showing when aplay -l but it has 4 different pcm devices with none of them giving any sound.

How did you solve this?

michald 11-19-09 06:42 PM

Re: HDMI audio on brand new Nvidia G210 and GT220 models (half success so far)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ysammy (Post 2127094)
How did you solve this?

Don't worry about it. It didn't actually help to get any sound out of the card.

Neither the Nvidia developers or the Alsa developers have made ANY comment as to G210/G220 audio support under Linux as far as I'm aware.

I stopped holding my breath and went back to a 8600GS with HDMI audio pass-through.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.