nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140304)

ankurbajaj_9 10-21-09 03:33 AM

Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
Hi
its 2 months i bought a nvidia gts 250 graphics card
I have tried many linux flavors from debian lenny, fedora , slackware ,
mandriva ,ubuntu etc but i have not been able to boot from a single live cd or
from the installed media after installation.
There seems to be memory clash between the graphics card and kernel for the
bios memory
I used to use linux without any errors prior to installation of the graphics
card

My system configuration
intel 946giz motherboard
1 gb ram
1.86 core 2 duo

i tried searching in linux forums and posted a bug at kernel bugzilla couldnt find and answer so i guessed why no try at nvidia forums
for more information the followings are my findings

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...946giz-737540/

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13874

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPkaOtm7crk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvFQlk957vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYiaL3RlDNo

mdriftmeyer 10-22-09 03:42 AM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=2105790

190.42 adds support for your card.

ankurbajaj_9 10-22-09 03:49 AM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
there is kernel panic whenever i try to install Linux
Currently im working on windows with driver 191.07
how will this help me solve my installation problem??

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer (Post 2108944)


ankurbajaj_9 11-14-09 08:14 AM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
somebody help me?????????????

StringCheesian 11-14-09 09:22 AM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
You could run memtest86+ from a livecd to prove to the kernel bugzilla people that your memory is ok. It would also be interesting if even memtest86+ won't boot.

Also, try removing the new card temporarily and retest with your hardware the way it was when it worked.

I once damaged a motherboard installing a new power supply. Its possible that you damaged your RAM or motherboard while installing the new video card. My suggestion would rule this out. BTW: You said Windows still works, but has it remained stable?

Dizzle7677 11-14-09 12:10 PM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
See Sticky on how to create a bug report log
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678

ankurbajaj_9 11-14-09 12:56 PM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StringCheesian (Post 2123472)
You could run memtest86+ from a livecd to prove to the kernel bugzilla people that your memory is ok. It would also be interesting if even memtest86+ won't boot.

Also, try removing the new card temporarily and retest with your hardware the way it was when it worked.

I once damaged a motherboard installing a new power supply. Its possible that you damaged your RAM or motherboard while installing the new video card. My suggestion would rule this out. BTW: You said Windows still works, but has it remained stable?

memtest was run successfully ........no errors. ran it from fedora cd gave no errors

Windows in stable , i am using xp right now , no problems at all

_john_i_ 11-14-09 01:19 PM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
It certainly sounds like a hardware problem, but odd that it works stable in windows.

Do you have another machine you can try the card in with a livecd? Maybe a friend's machine?

I believe xfx has lifetime free replacement warranty (at least they do on my 8600gt), and they will replace it without argument if you give them a good reason why you think it is bad.

I know it is a pain in the ass to be without for a few weeks while you wait for a replacement, but if there is something wrong with the card, this might be a good way to find out.

ankurbajaj_9 11-14-09 01:23 PM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
i will try to find a machine to test it but cant be sure if i can get it

but if there would be any problem in hardware my xp vista or win 7 would have crashed or shown any sign

even open solaris live cd ran successfully but i didnt install it

StringCheesian 11-14-09 05:31 PM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ankurbajaj_9 (Post 2123588)
i will try to find a machine to test it but cant be sure if i can get it

but if there would be any problem in hardware my xp vista or win 7 would have crashed or shown any sign

even open solaris live cd ran successfully but i didnt install it

You should mention your success with memtest86+ and open solaris in a new comment on your kernel bug, because it might change Andrew Morton's mind. Notice he said in comment #8 that he suspected broken hardware.

EDIT: in your bugzilla comment #9, did you mean to say that dream linux 2.2 live cd actually boots on your hardware as it is now? If so, what do you think made the difference for that one to work where so many other livecds failed? Did the other livecds (try looking them up) all have a newer or older kernel version in common or something?

EDIT #2: even if its bizarre, you should still rule out the possibility that you have a hardware problem that Windows, memtest, solaris, and that one livecd are somehow not triggering. You should still try your old hardware configuration or a replaced video card. It would strengthen your argument that it must be a kernel bug or it would identify a hardware problem. Either way, progress.

ankurbajaj_9 11-15-09 01:08 AM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StringCheesian (Post 2123709)
You should mention your success with memtest86+ and open solaris in a new comment on your kernel bug, because it might change Andrew Morton's mind. Notice he said in comment #8 that he suspected broken hardware.

done this
Quote:

Originally Posted by StringCheesian (Post 2123709)
EDIT: in your bugzilla comment #9, did you mean to say that dream linux 2.2 live cd actually boots on your hardware as it is now? If so, what do you think made the difference for that one to work where so many other livecds failed? Did the other livecds (try looking them up) all have a newer or older kernel version in common or something?

dream linux had 2.6.18.1 kernal version and its an old kernel currently every flavor has 2.6.30 or above
Quote:

Originally Posted by StringCheesian (Post 2123709)
EDIT #2: even if its bizarre, you should still rule out the possibility that you have a hardware problem that Windows, memtest, solaris, and that one livecd are somehow not triggering. You should still try your old hardware configuration or a replaced video card. It would strengthen your argument that it must be a kernel bug or it would identify a hardware problem. Either way, progress.

how can i get a replaced video card for checking? i dont think xfx will provide me one :( so will try to chk this card on some other pc but that will be tough as most of my friends have laptop will try anyways

StringCheesian 11-15-09 03:57 AM

Re: Unable to install linux after insertion of xfx gts 250 512 mb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ankurbajaj_9 (Post 2123834)
dream linux had 2.6.18.1 kernal version and its an old kernel currently every flavor has 2.6.30 or above

The kernel devs will probably need you to try a few kernel versions in between to see which version introduced the bug.

Is dream linux installable? If so, you could keep upgrading it's kernel (you don't have to try every version one-by-one, you can skip ahead) and rebooting until it breaks.

For example, if you told them that 2.6.27 works but 2.6.28 fails then that might narrow it down enough that they could investigate.

They need that info, because the only other way they could help is if they had the exact same hardware. The bug will probably never be found without that info.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.