nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Windows 7 Officially Out Now! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140346)

mojoman0 10-22-09 03:38 AM

Windows 7 Officially Out Now!

Yippee! Just got emailed my link for the student copy I ordered for $30. It says that it an exe file that starts the install process but maybe that will just start an iso burner or something. I'll give it a go in the morning and hopefully find some time this weekend to put it on my desktop (already running w7 pro msdna on laptop). Congrats Microsoft!

K007 10-22-09 04:27 AM

Re: Windows 7 Officially Out Now!

most likely be a downloader for the actual iso.

Redeemed 10-22-09 05:27 AM

Should be receiving my copy of 7 Ultimate from Intel here shortly. Hoping it'll be today... but I'm expecting it no later than next week. Soon as it arrives, I get to start my i7 build. :D :D :D

K007 10-22-09 05:31 AM

Will give the x64 a shot this weekend. Will be my first move to x64. Will be on my second HDD Tho..in case if i have problems ><

Ninjaman09 10-22-09 09:09 AM

Referring to the downloadable package: Rather than an ISO, it's just a compressed install package. I have it "unloading" at the moment (it's decompressing the files and storing them in a folder on my hard drive). I moved them to a separate hard drive just in case. Seems like it's moving along pretty quickly. Not sure if it's OK to have it going to a different HD, I should find out shortly.

edit: Seems like it's the entire contents of a normal retail disk. Not in ISO format but it looks like you could just burn the files to a DVD easily, which is what I'm going to do now.

Revs 10-22-09 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2108954)
Will give the x64 a shot this weekend. Will be my first move to x64. Will be on my second HDD Tho..in case if i have problems ><

If you've got Ultimate you run problematic programs on XP (virtual PC thingy) from within 7. I've been running x64 for years now with no problems at all, although I know some programs have issues, but hardly any.

I'm installing Home Premium x64 tonight.

Ninjaman09 10-22-09 10:30 AM

The DVD burn failed but I just installed it from the hard drive. Worked perfectly, took about an hour to totally clean up and reinstall drivers/basic utility software. Full installed size is 10.7 GB on disk, about half that of Vista - pretty nice. :D

mailman2 10-22-09 10:43 AM

I'm so glad Vista can be put to rest now. From the worst OS ever to Windows 7, the best OS ever.

AMC_Duke 10-22-09 10:57 AM

Just instaled my Windows 7 and love it no more crazy hard drive activitys out from no where !

The Downside i didnt know that the Games for windows Live game saves are stored on the C Drive so i lost all my Data that is the **** ! but thats not a Windows 7 Problem :-)

All in All well done Microsoft

Ninjaman09 10-22-09 11:09 AM

What's surprising is that the "clean install" offered no option to format the hard drive, though fully installed the system has no fragmentation and tons of extra space...I'm really impressed so far, all drivers and software are working fine. Looking forward to learning the new UI features, this is my first time using Windows 7.

XP_GUN 10-22-09 11:13 AM

Well I have a midterm today so I need to study up for it, But I do have a copy of Home Premium from Microsoft in the email now, I have Professional downloaded from my College and buying the Family Pack after class for my Media PC as well as my brothers computer and family pc. :D

XDanger 10-22-09 11:18 AM

UPS tried to deliver but I was asleep :(