nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   FPS drop in call of duty 4 when using ARB_fbo under wine (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140509)

sfievet 10-26-09 06:06 AM

FPS drop in call of duty 4 when using ARB_fbo under wine

Hi,

i experienced a large FPS drop when i switched from wine-1.1.29 to wine-1.1.30, which i first reported to wine devs. The regression test i ran highlighted a change made by Henri Verbeet, which favors GL_ARB_framebuffer_object over GL_EXT_framebuffer_object when available.
This had a huge impact on the frame rate for me (from 20FPS to 5FPS).
After Henri's request, i reverted the code change to make wine always prefer GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, and this solved my issue.
Henri Verbeet thinks : "there's probably an implementation difference between ARB_fbo and EXT_fbo in the driver". The weird thing is that i appear to be the only one person bit by the "bug". :-(

I tought i may be worth it to take my chance and report it to nVidia people anyway.
It happens with both binary driver 185.18.36 and 190.42.
I run :
- geForce 9800gt green edition with 512Mo RAM
- kernel 2.6.31
- Xorg 7.1

Please let me know if can provide you with more information to investigate. I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
Seb

AaronP 10-26-09 07:54 AM

Re: FPS drop in call of duty 4 when using ARB_fbo under wine

Please see the forum sticky posts about how to generate an nvidia-bug-report.log.gz. In addition, you said you tracked down the problem to a single code change in Wine. Can you please give the specific git commit ID that you're referring to, along with a detailed description of how to reproduce the problem? Thanks!

sfievet 10-26-09 08:38 AM

Sorry for the lack of proper nvidia-bug-report.log file. I'll send it tonight.
In the meantime, i can give you the first "bad" commit ID :
[ec97383f6fb1a14c19dfcb85dd5239a8938c9e3c] wined3d: Add support for ARB_framebuffer_object.

The second one also adversely impacts the frame rate, but not as strongly :
[34dd27e3a8f9affb919db6f7c912040ded8eace8] wined3d: Don't create a depthstencil renderbuffer if ARB_framebuffer_object is supported.

This "bug" is reported in Wine bugzilla : http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20307
Within is mentioned the quick fix Henri Verbeet suggested to work around the issue.

Thank for your quick reply!
Seb.

sfievet 10-26-09 08:42 AM

...and I'll post the detail game setup and steps to reproduce my issue along with the bug report file.

sfievet 10-27-09 03:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the generated bug report, and my game options :

1680x1050@110Hz / 16:10
all options set to yes / normal BUT :
-depth of field : no
-soften smoke edges : no
-water effect : low

I launch COD4 with : WINEDEBUG=-all wine iw3mp.exe +set cg_drawfps 1

with regular wine1.1.32, i have FPS = 3-5
with the workaround suggested by Henri Verbeet, i have FPS = 15-25

Thanks for your help!

sfievet 10-29-09 04:37 AM

@AaronP : Aaron, is the information i provided you with enough to investigate? Have you had time to take a look at it yet? Is the official 190.42 release different from the release candidate and should i try to install it?

Thanks for your help, Seb.

AaronP 10-29-09 10:20 AM

I'm sorry, I haven't yet had a chance to look at it yet. 190.42 is the same as it always was, it's just on the official driver page at nvidia.com now.

sfievet 11-09-09 09:02 AM

@Aaron : i apologize to kind of harass you on that matter... :-(
I would really appreciate if you could give me a piece of information i could pass on to wine devs and help my "bug" make some progress...
Thank you, Seb.

sfievet 12-05-09 05:17 AM

Re: FPS drop in call of duty 4 when using ARB_fbo under wine [fixed]

Hi,

i updated to latest 195.22 beta driver, and no longer suffer the FPS drop.
Aaron, i was curious to ask : did you do something about it on the driver, or is it magically fixed "by accident" ? :-)

Thanks anyway,
Seb