nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Windows 7 Games Explorer (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140629)

CaptNKILL 10-29-09 02:33 AM

Windows 7 Games Explorer

Is there any way to edit the shortcuts in the games explorer like you could in Vista? It really sucks that they had to go and change that. I edited shortcuts all the time.

I really don't want to go back to the freaking start menu shortcuts for my games. :headexplode:

Any registry tweaks or 3rd party programs that can bring back the edit button? :o

Muppet 10-29-09 04:51 AM

Re: Windows 7 Games Explorer

You mean as in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. I went in and edited the security tab and edit the permissions tab and gave myself full permisson. I was then able to add shortcuts to games.

CaptNKILL 10-29-09 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 2113154)
You mean as in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. I went in and edited the security tab and edit the permissions tab and gave myself full permisson. I was then able to add shortcuts to games.

No, I mean the games explorer.

The "Games" button in the Start menu brings up a window with information about your games, requirements, website links etc.

Most new games install their shorcuts to here and no longer create start menu shortcuts.

In Vista you could edit these shortcuts to change launch options. In 7 you can't change anything, so if, for example, the DX10 version of a game crashes but it is the default, you have to right click the shortcut and tell it to run the DX9 version every time. If this option isn't available on the default shortcut you have to manually add another shortcut which won't have any of the other options that are supposed to be there. In Vista you could just edit the existing shortcut to run the DX9 exe by default.

DiscipleDOC 10-29-09 11:46 AM

I would like to know this as well. I want to put my older games in this folder...

nekrosoft13 10-29-09 12:39 PM

go here

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ GameExplorer

find the game folder, find the shortcut and edit.

Game Explorer took couple steps backwards in Windows 7

CaptNKILL 10-29-09 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2113484)
go here

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ GameExplorer

find the game folder, find the shortcut and edit.

Game Explorer took couple steps backwards in Windows 7

Ah, thanks nekro. I was hoping that there was still a way to do this manually. That's a big help. :thumbsup:

Hopefully Microsoft (or a third party) can get the games explorer back to the way it was. It was better before.

ViN86 10-29-09 02:43 PM

Bah I just put all my shortcuts in Steam so I have em in one place.

DiscipleDOC 10-29-09 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 2113545)
Ah, thanks nekro. I was hoping that there was still a way to do this manually. That's a big help. :thumbsup:

Hopefully Microsoft (or a third party) can get the games explorer back to the way it was. It was better before.

My problem with this shortcut is that it does not update the games in the folder with the box art and stuff like that...

CaptNKILL 10-29-09 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC (Post 2113622)
My problem with this shortcut is that it does not update the games in the folder with the box art and stuff like that...

There are a few more options under this key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\GameUX

betterdan 10-29-09 05:17 PM

Why do people use game explorer anyways? Isn't that what the taskbar is for? I just put the shortcuts to the games on my taskbar. More convenient and you can edit the shortcut all you want.

wollyka 10-29-09 05:21 PM

I used vista game explorer editor program before (http://gameeditor.webnode.com/), but didn't try it yet in Win7 maybe it still works to edit shortcut and add games..

JasonPC 10-29-09 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betterdan (Post 2113737)
Why do people use game explorer anyways? Isn't that what the taskbar is for? I just put the shortcuts to the games on my taskbar. More convenient and you can edit the shortcut all you want.

That's going to be a lot of pinned objects on the task bar for people who have many games (the majority of us). I was wondering this myself. Why did the games explorer take so many steps back?