nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   [BugReport] Xinerama Broken in 190.42 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140803)

David Ronis 11-02-09 11:35 AM

[BugReport] Xinerama Broken in 190.42

1 Attachment(s)
I just installed 190.42 and started X. Everything seems fine as far as the graphics image is concerned; however, the mouse doesn't work on the second screen. Mousing there loses control of the mouse (key clicks don't work, position jumps around more or less randomly, cursor flickers) and after a while X crashes.

I'm running the git master (as of last week or so) of X, but this has been a recurring problem with the last several 190.xx drivers. Xinerama used to work with this system.

I've attached the output of nvidia-bug-report.

David

oldguy 11-02-09 02:51 PM

Re: [BugReport] Xinerama Broken in 190.42

I just installed 190.42.

Xinerama appears to work for me the same as the last many builds. That is everything functions except the ability to select another session with ctrl-alt-F2. That still gives me a black screen if xinerama is running dual screens. I've been complaining about that for over a year now. Other than that, I'm not experiencing mouse problems.

2.6.27.35-170.2.94.fc10.i686

David Ronis 11-02-09 04:35 PM

oldguy,

I can't tell you about the CTRL-ALT-Fn issue, but this one is probably related to my using the git master of Xorg.

What version of X are you using?

oldguy 11-04-09 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ronis (Post 2115908)
What version of X are you using?

Xorg -version

X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5 i686
Current Operating System: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.27.35-170.2.94.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Thu Oct 1 14:58:51 EDT 2009 i686
Build Date: 24 May 2009 07:42:37PM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.5.3-17.fc10

llcawthorne 11-06-09 07:34 AM

I'm seeing the same issue with X.Org Version 1.7.1 and the latest NVIDIA drivers whenever I try using Xinerama.

Case 1) If I turn off Xinerama in the xorg.conf and use separate X displays or Twinview, everything works.
Case 2) If I set Xinerama on in xorg.conf, the mouse starts bouncing weird if I try to go to screen two, and if I sit there and scratch my head for a second I get dumped back to the prompt with a segfault.

I'm using a pair of 8800GT's and an 8400GS in this computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ronis (Post 2115647)
I just installed 190.42 and started X. Everything seems fine as far as the graphics image is concerned; however, the mouse doesn't work on the second screen. Mousing there loses control of the mouse (key clicks don't work, position jumps around more or less randomly, cursor flickers) and after a while X crashes.

I'm running the git master (as of last week or so) of X, but this has been a recurring problem with the last several 190.xx drivers. Xinerama used to work with this system.

I've attached the output of nvidia-bug-report.

David

David Ronis 11-06-09 11:26 AM

I thought that this might be related to an issue in the ' ArchLinux, xorg 1.7, Nvidia 190.42 => segfault' thread and tried a patch mentioned there. It didn't help.

On the other hand, I figured out a fix. Here's what I wrote there:

On a hunch, that this was some simple arithmetic issue with dealing with the mouse x offset,
(e.g., an unsigned int being used instead of a signed one), I switched the sense of the two screens. That is in Xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" RightOf "Screen1"
Screen 1 "Screen1" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

I changed RightOf to LeftOf. Everything now works, (although I'm going to have to switch the screens physically of course.

I don't know if this is a problem with xserver or with the nvidia driver, but my bet is that it's a simple integer arithmetic problem.

llcawthorne 11-06-09 09:44 PM

I think its an xorg 1.7 issue. I was able to switch to the nouveau driver and get the same problem.

I haven't tried messing with the geometry like you suggest. I'm actually pretty partial to my separate screen non-xinerma setup; I was merely trying to enable Xinerama and see if a different problem I was having went away or not.

llcawthorne 11-06-09 09:56 PM

Neat. That fixes it perfect. Xinerama settings are respected as one would expect, mouse behaves normally, nothing crashes.

Now, if anyone wants to help me move a 50 inch television from one side of the room to another, then I can live with this. Of course, Xinerama still disables my composite extension (which I admittedly don't need, but find to be 'cooler' than moving windows from one screen to another), but I wasn't expecting that to be fixed. This does suit my purposes fine for testing though, and Xinerama is sort of neat to play with when you aren't used to it.

sillium 11-08-09 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ronis (Post 2115647)
however, the mouse doesn't work on the second screen. Mousing there loses control of the mouse (key clicks don't work, position jumps around more or less randomly, cursor flickers) and after a while X crashes.

That's been true for me too.

What i found out:
This happens with xorg-server > 1.7.1-1,
Xinerama and
a screen which has Position set with LeftOf or absolute but not in order e.g.
Code:

Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"

or
Code:

Screen 0 "Screen0" 1200 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" 0 0

Moving the mouse to screen1 will make the cursor jump around and after a while X crashes.
Downgrading to this X server helps:
Code:

X.Org X Server 1.6.3.901 (1.6.4 RC 1)
Release Date: 2009-8-25

Currently i'm using Arch Linux so if anybody else is suffering from this problem here's a quick (and dirty) solution:

Code:

# pacman -U xorg-server-1.6.3.901-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
loading package data...
checking dependencies...
error: replacing packages with -U is not supported yet
error: you can replace packages manually using -Rd and -U
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: xorg-server: conflicts with xf86-input-evdev
:: xorg-server: conflicts with xf86-input-keyboard
:: xorg-server: conflicts with xf86-input-mouse
:: xorg-server: conflicts with xf86-video-nouveau
:: xorg-server: conflicts with xf86-video-nv
:: xorg-server: conflicts with xf86-video-vesa

# pacman -Rd xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse xf86-video-nouveau xf86-video-nv xf86-video-vesa
(1/6) removing xf86-video-vesa                      [################################################] 100%
(2/6) removing xf86-video-nv                        [################################################] 100%
(3/6) removing xf86-video-nouveau                  [################################################] 100%
(4/6) removing xf86-input-mouse                    [################################################] 100%
(5/6) removing xf86-input-keyboard                  [################################################] 100%
(6/6) removing xf86-input-evdev                    [################################################] 100%

# pacman -U xorg-server-1.6.3.901-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz              loading package data...
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: xorg-server: requires xf86-input-evdev>=2.2.5

# pacman -U xf86-input-evdev-2.2.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz            loading package data...
checking dependencies...
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [################################################] 100%
(1/1) upgrading xf86-input-evdev                    [################################################] 100%

# pacman -U xorg-server-1.6.3.901-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz              loading package data...
checking dependencies...
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [################################################] 100%
(1/1) installing xorg-server                        [################################################] 100%

Input device handling has changed since xorg-server 1.5.
  Please read http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_input_hotplugging.

I had those packages still lying around on my disk. You may be lucky enough too and have a look at your pacman cache dir (/var/cache/pacman/pkg by default..)

[edit]
You might want to add
Code:

IgnoreGroup = xorg
to pacman.conf
[/edit]

Hope this helps..

Anybody willing to do a git bisect and/or file a bug report to xorg@freedesktop? :)

[edit]
filed a bug report here:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24986
[/edit]