nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nvidia GTX 260 performance decrease more by a factor of 2 Debian vs Sabayon Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141673)

archwndas 11-22-09 09:17 PM

Nvidia GTX 260 performance decrease more by a factor of 2 Debian vs Sabayon Linux

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there,
I run the phoronix test suite 2.2.0 on both Debian and Sabayon. Both systems started X with the same xorg.conf file. Basically I copied the debian xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf of Sabayon tree to make sure everything there is the same. I observe the same phenomenon I observed with glxgears after I run one of the OpenGL benchmarks of phoronix test suite called GLMark. Below you see what the test suite identifies as my hardware and details about the system and further below the frames per second at both systems. I attach the corresponding resume .xml files hoping that you can see them with firefox under Sabayon as they should appear. I could not see them under Sabayon as I see them under Debian. Any ideas?

Debian
------
<Hardware>Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P9700 @ 2.80GHz (Total Cores: 2), Motherboard: CLEVO M860TU, Chipset: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Hub + ICH9M, System Memory: 3964MB, Disk: 320GB ST9320421AS, Graphics: GeForce GTX 260M 1024MB (550/800MHz), Monitor: Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-2: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
(--) NVIDIA(0): LEN</Hardware>
<Software>OS: Debian 5.0.3, Kernel: 2.6.30-bpo.1-amd64 (x86_64), Desktop: Xfce, Display Server: X.Org Server 1.6.5, OpenGL: 3.0.0 NVIDIA 185.18.31, Compiler: GCC 4.3.4, File-System: ext2/ext3, Screen Resolution: 1920x1200</Software>

Sabayon
-------
<Hardware>Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P9700 @ 2.80GHz (Total Cores: 2), Motherboard: CLEVO M860TU, Chipset: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Hub + ICH9M, System Memory: 3956MB, Disk: 320GB ST9320421AS, Graphics: GeForce GTX 260M 1024MB (550/800MHz), Monitor: Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-2: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
(--) NVIDIA(0): LEN</Hardware>
<Software>OS: Gentoo 2.0.1, Kernel: 2.6.31-sabayon (x86_64), Desktop: KDE 4.3.3, Display Server: X.Org Server 1.6.5, OpenGL: 3.0.0 NVIDIA 185.18.31, Compiler: GCC 4.4.1, File-System: xfs, Screen Resolution: 1920x1200</Software>

This is a test of GLMark, an open-source OpenGL benchmark.
Resolution 1920x1200

Code:

Test                                  Sabayon        Debian Squeeze
-------------------------------------------------------------
Vertex Array                            1175          2267
Vertex Buffer                            1231          3021
Texture Filtering - Linear                852          2095
Texture Filtering - Mipmapped            1098          2790
GLSL Per Vertex Lighting                  946          2272
GLSL Per Pixel Lighting                  923          2148

I also performed the same test on Sabayon running XFCE4 the previous result is under KDE4.3.3 on Sabayon. The performance is independent on the Window manager. I have attached the results of the benchmark. You can view them after decompressing the tarball by opening with firefox the corresponding index.html file. There you will see some more details about my hardware. To me it seems that the kernel makes a difference somehow. I remember that after I upgraded Debian to Sid (this is not Sid but Squeeze), I got in Debian similar performance as Sabayon. I do not know what causes this slow down. No idea at all.

Please help.

Let me know if there is any other information about my systems you would like to see.

All my best,
Archwn.

StringCheesian 11-23-09 11:28 PM

Re: Nvidia GTX 260 performance decrease more by a factor of 2 Debian vs Sabayon Linux

What happens if you install the older GCC that debian is using, and use it to compile a 2.6.30 kernel to downgrade to?

That way they would both have roughly the same kernel compiled with the same version of GCC.

I also notice they are also using different filesystems, but that shouldn't matter.

EDIT: Does phoronix test suite compile stuff before testing? If so, the benchmark application itself would be effected by the version of GCC it used.

EDIT #2: And kernel config options like Preemption model or Timer frequency might make a difference too.

archwndas 11-24-09 01:23 AM

Re: Nvidia GTX 260 performance decrease more by a factor of 2 Debian vs Sabayon Linux

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringCheesian (Post 2129762)
What happens if you install the older GCC that debian is using, and use it to compile a 2.6.30 kernel to downgrade to?

That way they would both have roughly the same kernel compiled with the same version of GCC.

I also notice they are also using different filesystems, but that shouldn't matter.
EDIT: Does phoronix test suite compile stuff before testing? If so, the benchmark application itself would be effected by the version of GCC it used.

EDIT #2: And kernel config options like Preemption model or Timer frequency might make a difference too.

The package manager of sabayon provides only kernel 2.6.31. I could ask them but it will take long until they are convinced to add the 2.6.30 kernel. As for the compilers it should not make a difference. The code is purely OpenGL code. and I think it comes precompiled. Even if it didn't different versions of compilers could not make such a difference on OpenGL code. We are talking about differences by a factor of 2 or more. Everything that Sabayon compiles is compiled with -O2. No compiler flag combination can provide code twice as fast as the one with -O2 especially when it comes to OpenGL commands.

I think it is a kernel issue.
Do you have an Nvidia card yourself? You could try the phoronix test suite running the same benchmark and tell us what you get.

The first thing you ask me to do is too much to do as it requires a lot of work. I could however run a diff on the .config files of both kernels and see what is different.

StringCheesian 11-25-09 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archwndas (Post 2129825)
Do you have an Nvidia card yourself? You could try the phoronix test suite running the same benchmark and tell us what you get.

I scored 2508 on GLMark: Vertex Array at 1920x1080 with kernel 2.6.31, nvidia driver 190.42, and a 9600 GT.

Sorry, I can't run it at your resolution.