nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Can't delete folders (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141728)

dreavus 11-23-09 08:18 PM

Can't delete folders

I can't delete D:\Users, D:\Windows, and D:\Program Files. they are on an old drive with a lot of data I want too keep. I can't store it else where so I cant reformat the drive.

Albo 11-23-09 08:42 PM

Re: Can't delete folders

That doesn't make too much sense. If you want to keep the data, why do you want to delete it?
I am 100% sure that windows blocks deleting major folders like that. What exactly are you trying to do?

dreavus 11-23-09 08:52 PM

I moved all the files I wanted to save it on a folder on to the root. I want to delete everything else on the drive but the saved folder.

Q 11-23-09 09:20 PM

1. Take ownership (NTFS) of directories.
2. Give your user full control under NTFS.
3. Try to delete
4. Restart computer and try to delete again.

ViN86 11-23-09 09:21 PM

Use command prompt. Right click on command prompt and run as administrator. Then type the following (hit return after each entry):

Code:

D:
rmdir Users
rmdir "Program Files"
rmdir Windows

After, type dir to make sure they've been deleted. If they've been deleted, they won't be listed.

Usually, command prompt as Admin will override everything.

supra 11-23-09 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 2129609)
3. Try to delete

yeh i reckon its that too. probs got old ntfs permissions still on it. take control of permissions and try again.

ViN86 11-23-09 09:56 PM

Admin command prompt doesn't care about the privileges :)

dreavus 11-24-09 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 2129609)
3. Try to delete

When I was tryig to do this on my own thats some of thie things I got. I think I need to do step 2 but not sure how.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2129612)
Use command prompt. Right click on command prompt and run as administrator. Then type the following (hit return after each entry):

Code:

D:
rmdir Users
rmdir "Program Files"
rmdir Windows

After, type dir to make sure they've been deleted. If they've been deleted, they won't be listed.

Usually, command prompt as Admin will override everything.

Code:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>D:

D:\>rmdir Users
Access is denied.

D:\>

einstein_314 11-24-09 12:09 PM

1) Right Click on the folder in question > Properties > Security Tab > Advanced Button > Owner Tab > Edit Button > Choose your account > OK > OK
2) Back on the Security Tab in folder properties, click on Edit to change permissions
3) Select your account and check Allow for all options.
4) Delete folder

Revs 11-24-09 12:16 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it can be done in Disk Cleanup. I know if you reinstall Windows and don't format the drive, the old Windows folder is saved as Windows.old in the drive and you have to delete this way.

dreavus 11-24-09 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by einstein_314 (Post 2130059)
1) Right Click on the folder in question > Properties > Security Tab > Advanced Button > Owner Tab > Edit Button > Choose your account > OK > OK
2) Back on the Security Tab in folder properties, click on Edit to change permissions
3) Select your account and check Allow for all options.
4) Delete folder

Worked for the Users folder, but not working for the others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revs (Post 2130070)
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it can be done in Disk Cleanup. I know if you reinstall Windows and don't format the drive, the old Windows folder is saved as Windows.old in the drive and you have to delete this way.

I installed Windows 7 on a different hard drive. Its smaller than my main one, it was for testing purposes. I decided to stay with it, and instead of reinstalling 7 on my main drive, keep win 7 on the smaller drive and use the main drive for storage.

ViN86 11-24-09 02:15 PM

Did you run the command prompt as administrator? I guess the real question is does your user even have Administrative privileges?

Also, you're sure you're deleting the correct Windows folder right?