nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   190.42 permanently broke videocard, vertical flickering and static when gpu warms up (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141906)

DodgeV83 11-27-09 12:59 PM

190.42 permanently broke videocard, vertical flickering and static when gpu warms up

Here is a summary of my issues with the drivers from this forum, using the GeForce 8400M GS GPU in a Dell M1330 laptop.

Using latest Beta driver from a few months ago in Ubuntu x64:
  • Flash did not work in fullscreen mode
  • Eventually I would see a vertical band on the screen, flickering and eventually producing enough static to not be able to see through.

Because of the above issues, I switched to the official driver in Ubuntu, again don't remember which version this is, but it's the version that comes up when I go to "Hardware" in the Ubuntu menu. All issues disappeared.

I moved to Ubuntu x86 last week and decided to give the new official driver from this forum a try, 190.42. I set PowerMizer to "max performance" and had no issues for a few days. Suddenly the flickering and static vertical band popped up again. If the computer is off for a while, I can boot and leave it alone for hours with no problems. Only when I start using it do the vertical lines come back.

Issues remain even when removing all NVidia drivers in Linux.

Issue remains in BIOS and bootup screens if I do a "Restart". I do not see the bands in BIOS and bootup screens after turning computer completely off then on.

I am typing this from Windows right now, showing the exact same issues. I can browse the web for hours, but as soon as I watch a fullscreen Hulu video (do anything that requires the GPU to heat up, or scale up the MHZ) the bands return. Closing and reopening the laptop lid gives me a brief reprieve from the bands, but they always come back, sometimes a few seconds later.

Any ideas?

thefirstm 11-27-09 01:15 PM

Re: 190.42 permanently broke videocard, vertical flickering and static when gpu warms

This sounds possibly like a Bumpgate issue? Especially since you locked it to full power mode.

personman 11-27-09 01:31 PM

Re: 190.42 permanently broke videocard, vertical flickering and static when gpu warms

Doesn't sound good at all. The fact that you even get the lines in the bios points to a hardware problem.

I had a similar issue that turned out to be related to a memory module I had installed, which makes sense considering laptops often use the system ram for video memory.

You could try swapping out memory (if your system uses system ram for video memory).

Alternatively, it could be a sign of a damaged video chip. Perhaps you could try underclocking the card and see if it exhibits the same issues. Just some things to try.

If the video chip is fried you may need a new one, or even a new motherboard for the laptop, depending on whether it is integrated in to the board or removable.

-Andy

DodgeV83 11-27-09 01:47 PM

Just tried on an external monitor via VGA, no problems. I set it to clone and see lines on my laptop but not the monitor.

Leads me to believe it's a monitor problem.

Also, if I turn off the system off and on without waiting, BIOS still shows the bands. If I wait a minute before turning on, they go away.

Edit: THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSES!!!

thefirstm 11-27-09 01:50 PM

Do you feel comfortable opening the laptop and reseating the LVDS connector? It might have come loose.

DodgeV83 11-27-09 01:51 PM

This is a very confusing issue. It seems to be tied to my doing things which make the GPU increase it's clockspeed (viewable via the PowerMizer screen). Doing something as simple as scrolling a chart in one of my programs can do this.

This leads me to believe it's a GPU issue.

But if it's a GPU issue, I would expect the symptoms to extend to the external monitor.

They do not.

I experience the same issues under Windows 7, even after switching off all NVidia drivers in Windows and going to "Standard VGA Drivers" and rebooting.

DodgeV83 11-27-09 01:56 PM

Sorry for so many quick posts, one more thought:

I've been having an issue in Ubuntu where the monitor stays on even when the laptop lid is closed. It is possible the monitor may be overworked.

I am still under support with Dell, will be giving them a call shortly, but I would like to have an informed opinion on what needs to be replaced. I still don't know if it's the monitor or the GPU.

Thefirstm: Given the new information, does this point to an LVDS connector issue? While I am comfortable with this, I am weary of violating my warranty.

personman 11-27-09 01:59 PM

Could still be the video chip. There might be different hardware paths for the built-in display vs an external one. I don't believe I've seen an LCD go bad, so I can't say for sure, but I know lines are often indicative of an overheating or bad video chip or video memory.

Seeing as you only set it to full power, and didn't actually overclock it, I'd think it should still be covered under warranty, but it's hard to tell... They also may just say that you used an unsupported driver (meaning one not distributed directly by Dell).

If you aren't able to figure something out, you may be better off sending it in to dell. They could try swapping out the LCD and/or motherboard to narrow down exactly where the problem is. Even if they decide it's not covered under warranty, it would probably be cheaper then buying and replacing the wrong thing.

-Andy

personman 11-27-09 02:04 PM

At a guess, I would say it's a defective chip or memory. As it wasn't overclocked but still failed, so it should be covered under warranty. Dell may disagree though. Good luck!

I imagine the video driver was probably a coincidence, and that setting full power may have just accelerated what was inevitable anyway.

-Andy

FYI, I worked for 3 years as a professional tech. I'm not really an expert on laptops, as they can be messy, but I do have some experience.

personman 11-27-09 02:22 PM

I realize it's a bit counter-intuitive for something called a laptop, but I usually make sure mine is set on a flat, hard surface, to maximize ventilation.

Working on laptops also tends to be a pain in the butt. Sometimes even getting the thing open can be an exercise in frustration, let alone replacing a motherboard or LCD. :/

gradinaruvasile 11-30-09 07:16 AM

My experience:
I have a Dell D630 with Quadro NVS 135M at work. It started to exhibit the simptoms you described. Turns out the video card was fried (partially, i could see 2 sets of images on the screen horizontally, but it showed in BIOS too - it couldnt initialise the vga out).
It seems the NVS 135M has a cooling problem and its a design fault. Replaced the mobo free, the laptop was in warranty. I might add i didnt play games on it, i even used adblocker to kill flash web pages, i monitored the cpu utilisation and temperatures. And it still died.

Laptops dont have the same cooling as desktops, they tend to overheat if not on flat surface - and if the cpu/gpu is stressed (games etc) they tend to reach quite high temperatures - i have seen 80 degrees spikes on the CPU after 10 minutes of 100% utilisation...
Its not a good idea to keep the GPU on full throttle all the time - it cannot cool down efficiently and it might be damaged eventually.

All in all laptops with fast (dedicated) video cards are far more prone to problems than those with integrated/slower cards.

personman 11-30-09 10:52 AM

"Laptops dont have the same cooling as desktops, they tend to overheat if not on flat surface"

I concur. I actually have a wooden board around that I sometimes use for just that purpose. Might be a good option if you actually want to use a laptop on your lap top. :)

Knowing a bit about how a particular laptop ventilates can be helpful as well, so you can avoid having your thigh covering a vent.

"Its not a good idea to keep the GPU on full throttle all the time - it cannot cool down efficiently and it might be damaged eventually."

I agree here as well. In the long run, running it full throttle is a bad idea. The fact that it had already exhibited issues with other drivers, and the fact that it went bad in a matter of days does point to a design flaw or defect, IMO, but good advice for the future. Probably not a bad idea to game your butt off while it's under warranty, so this sort of issue will present itself on their dime rather than yours. If it can't handle running full throttle, then it probably can't handle extended gaming sessions well either. Again, this goes to a design flaw or defect, IMO.

"All in all laptops with fast (dedicated) video cards are far more prone to problems than those with integrated/slower cards."

My laptops have integrated video, so I can't speak from experience, but it makes sense to me. I don't seem to experience heat issues with my integrated chips, though I'm cautious anyway.

Hope everything works out well for you.

-Andy