nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shutting down every 15 minutes (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141933)

nV`andrew 11-28-09 11:32 PM

Shutting down every 15 minutes

So yesterday I set my bios to default, removing my overclock. Computer was running pretty much flawless until this.
Originally, I had FSB set to 400, and my DRAM voltage at 2.1v for an overclock of 3.2ghz. (see specs in sig, I am running windows 7 rc 32bit)

Today I went to play Dragon Age and my system shut down. I recall having to manually set the RAM voltage to 2.1 because apparently the P5Q will put it at 1.8v by default, causing stability issues. So I did this, and boom, after another 15 minutes of being in windows, computer shut down again. No bsod's.

Just now I reset the CMOS, and reseated my memory, graphics card, and reconnected the 24pin and 8 pin cpu connectors. Booted up only changing the DRAM voltage to 2.1v, made it into windows for about 10 minutes and tried to run prime95, and bam it shut down again.

Any ideas?

I have a q8300 and 2 gigs of Kingston HyperX along with windows 7 coming next week, so I'm trying to rule out if it is my current memory, or PSU causing the problem. I don't want to have new parts arrive and have a system that doesn't work.

Could something really have happened to my hardware just by resetting the bios to default?

Thanks guys..

nV`andrew 11-29-09 12:11 AM

Re: Shutting down every 15 minutes

Update...been sitting in bios for 20+ minutes without any shutdowns. Is it possible that the OS is causing this?

Lyme 11-29-09 01:37 AM

Run a temperature monitoring program, what temp does your cpu/northbridge/videocard hit?

No, I don't know why that might be the case, but it is the first thing I'd check. Also may want to check the manufacturer site for your memory, check that the defaults for your memory voltage/timings are what they should be.

$n][pErMan 11-29-09 12:07 PM

never trust the default bios settings!!!

nV`andrew 11-29-09 05:16 PM

Well I set everything to Auto and it's been stable in windows all day. I'm going to try and play dragon age and see how long it goes.

My temps are fairly good. However, motherboard temps (not sure if its northbridge or southbridge, probably north because the heatsink feels loose) can get up into the 80s. However, it has been like this for awhile and never posed a problem. I have AS5 and new zalman heatsinks(in case re-applying paste doesn't work) coming in the mail but it'll likely be a good week til then :/

Any suggestions or tips on trying to get my OC back?

EDIT: Gonna try to run memtest now as well

nV`andrew 11-29-09 06:48 PM

Every time memtest got to about 25% my computer would shut down. However, no errors were reported.

Is it possible my PSU is at fault? Or is it simply the northbridge overheating?

nV`andrew 11-30-09 05:43 PM

Could a mod move this thread (and delete this post if necessary) to the CPU, Motherboards section? I'll probably get a better response. Thank you

wysiwyg 02-17-10 09:07 AM

sounds like a PSU issue

if not overheating issue

t3hl33td4rg0n 03-07-10 02:01 PM

MY old OCZ PSU did this.. It had adjustable rails, so I bought a multimeter, adjusted, tested, adjusted, tested until I found the optimum values. Before, the computer would just randomly shut off....

With your temp monitor app (or in BIOS) try setting an alarm when the temps hit a certain point, and see how long before the computer shuts off. Keep raising it and see if there is a difference - this will tell you if the computer is shutting off due to overheating.

Revs 03-07-10 03:21 PM

80 degrees sounds very hot to me. I Remember the P45's running pretty cool. Like about 40*C cool. It could be a be sensor, but I would be looking to sort that ASAP.

nV`andrew 03-07-10 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revs (Post 2203224)
80 degrees sounds very hot to me. I Remember the P45's running pretty cool. Like about 40*C cool. It could be a be sensor, but I would be looking to sort that ASAP.

Lol sorry for not replying, old thread revival. I ended up buying a new board.

Lyme 03-07-10 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nV`andrew (Post 2133082)
Well I set everything to Auto and it's been stable in windows all day. I'm going to try and play dragon age and see how long it goes.

My temps are fairly good. However, motherboard temps (not sure if its northbridge or southbridge, probably north because the heatsink feels loose) can get up into the 80s. However, it has been like this for awhile and never posed a problem. I have AS5 and new zalman heatsinks(in case re-applying paste doesn't work) coming in the mail but it'll likely be a good week til then :/

Any suggestions or tips on trying to get my OC back?

EDIT: Gonna try to run memtest now as well

+80f or +80c?

+80c is extremely hot.