nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   We want nvidia linux powerpc drivers !! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14199)

crying 07-01-03 08:18 AM

We want nvidia linux powerpc drivers !!

Just that, why not????

:( :(

Sure it is easy, maybe with only compile the source code using a powerpc is enough, why we DON'T have drivers? we have spent a lot of money buying a nvidia graphic card, so why not?

:mad: :mad:

Please, release a driver.

Regards

crying 07-02-03 01:17 PM

Could a developer SAY anything about it???

THIS IS FRUSTRATING.

how 07-02-03 06:35 PM

just curious.
why would you run linux if you got a powerpc. don't they come with macos and the drivers already?
if you got macosx then you are much better.
macosx unix is just as good as linux

PC are much more cheaper and popular then mac therefore more users use PC, therefore more of those users need the drivers. At the moment Nvidia already troubled by many bugs for the driver.

jjacocks 07-08-03 02:02 PM

I hereby second this motion. Just take a look at the forms/lists for Gentoo/PPC YellowDog, and Debian/PPC to see how man users you would be making happy.

I use and enjoy your excellent drivers for Linux/i386 already.

Thanks for the consideration!

vit 07-09-03 02:48 PM

Agreed

I agree with the need for PPC drivers. I work for Terra Soft Solutions (makers of Yellow Dog Linux) and we get constant feedback from users who wish the Nvidia drivers would work on the PowerPC.

I recommend Nvidia put up a poll somewhere that could guage customer interest in PPC Linux drivers. Online petitions don't seem to do much good. We need Nvidia to take a small step.

SnapIT 07-09-03 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by how
just curious.
why would you run linux if you got a powerpc. don't they come with macos and the drivers already?
if you got macosx then you are much better.
macosx unix is just as good as linux

PC are much more cheaper and popular then mac therefore more users use PC, therefore more of those users need the drivers. At the moment Nvidia already troubled by many bugs for the driver.

Errrr... Let's turn that statement around a bit...

Why would you run linux if you got an x86-pc? Don't they come with M$OS and the drivers already?

OS-X isn't better or worse than Linux, it is a *nix based OS, the kernel is darwin and the rest is based on FreeBSD, it's a matter of personal preference, besides, Linux is OSS, OS-X is NOT...

If nvidia would give the OSS community a shot and release the code there would be patches for the buggy drivers within hours...

It isn't the users fault that nvidia cannot release stable code...

Sky Lemon 12-10-03 09:46 PM

Yet another soon-to-be-former nVidia customer looking for PPC Linux drivers

Please release drivers for PPC Linux. I have a GeForce4 MX 440. Unfortunately (for nVidia) my next video card purchase will be ATI and this is what I will suggest to anyone looking for a video card. Maybe if I could actually *use* my nVidia card I could suggest otherwise.

LordMorgul 12-10-03 10:41 PM

I also have access to a PPC machine on yellow dog linux, which using mac-on-linux could be a machine that is very versatile as a workstation. However, without drivers for video it is too slow to be usable.

PPC linux drivers requested.

mbogosian 02-26-04 11:43 PM

Possible compromise?

Sorry for the cross-post (I don't seem to be getting much traction with my new thread). Here goes:

I am not sure if nVidia developers even read this forum, but I'd like to voice my desire to have XFree86 nVidia drivers for running Linux on my 12" PowerBook.

As a user, I'm not really concerned whether or not the drivers are Open Source or not (although I would certainly commend nVidia for such a bold step). I just want them to be available.

I'd like to ask a question, though: is it even conceivably possible to use the binary code distributed with OS X 10.x in Linux? What I mean is, is it possible that one could (in theory) write a wrapper for the Mach-0 based code for the video drivers? Kind of like what these guys have done to allow x86 Linux to use Windows wireless drivers:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader...98fb5a8bac0713
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

I don't even know which .dylib(s) hold(s) the appropriate code, but I'm imagining something like the following:

1. Identify the appropriate .dylib files (and their dependencies?) in OS X (perhaps "otool -L /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLSystem.dylib"?)

2. Find/write a Mach-0 object loader for Linux (is this necessary? Linux uses ELF, and OS X uses Mach-0, right?)

3. Identify the approprate nVidia-specific symbols in the .dylib files (this probably requires some heavy reverse engineering/experimentation and a lot of patience)

4. Write the wrapper/glue code to abstract the Mach-O loader/nVidia symbol calls as an XFree86 driver

Is there anything wrong with my thinking here? If there are any nVidia developers reading this list, is this something nVidia would be willing to do? It seems like this might be a decent compromise (nVidia doesn't have to release its IP, and Linux users get updates with OS X). Alternatively, are there any bright independents out there who are capable/willing to tackle such a daunting task?

An thoughts, comments, responses (especially from nVidia folks) would really be appreciated here. Thanks in advance.

borgzilla 02-27-04 02:23 PM

Re: Yet another soon-to-be-former nVidia customer looking for PPC Linux drivers

Quote:

Originally posted by Sky Lemon
Please release drivers for PPC Linux. I have a GeForce4 MX 440. Unfortunately (for nVidia) my next video card purchase will be ATI and this is what I will suggest to anyone looking for a video card. Maybe if I could actually *use* my nVidia card I could suggest otherwise.
PPC/Linux/ATi lol
Man, you know how to punish yourself. :fanboy:

deathon2legs 09-02-04 09:17 PM

Re: We want nvidia linux powerpc drivers !!

Unless you are buying some "old" radeon 9200 (or older), your aren't getting linux/ppc 3d support .. ATI don't do drivers to the ppc plataform, and the dri project (dri.sf.net), don't receive info enough about recent chips to made 3d drivers..

kmare 09-03-04 01:43 PM

Re: Yet another soon-to-be-former nVidia customer looking for PPC Linux drivers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky Lemon
Unfortunately (for nVidia) my next video card purchase will be ATI and this is what I will suggest to anyone looking for a video card. Maybe if I could actually *use* my nVidia card I could suggest otherwise.

if use linux, then you will blame yourself buying an ATI. Unfortunally it seems they don't care about the linux community. At least with nvidia I can install linux or freebsd, and I will know that I will have fully working 3D accelleration. Yes, I'd like to have ppc nvidia drivers (even though I don't own a mac) but don't expect from ATI to release working linux drivers even for the x86 architecture...
Oh btw... nvidia releases drivers even for 64 bit arch... and I'm really happy with it...

... and go check the frustration ATI owners got with linux... most of them can't even install the non-working with-no-features really-unstable linux drivers (I was one of them till I switched... forever...)