nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   GTX 200 board in a vertical computer case? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142541)

Twinsen64 12-13-09 08:27 AM

GTX 200 board in a vertical computer case?

As we all have noticed that gtx200 series cards are bulky huge and rather heavy, thus I have a question: "Is there any risk in placing this heavy card in a vertical computer case?"

The laws of physics kinda make me wonder if the PCI-E socket won't be damaged by the strain of the cards weight? Also the card itself is held in place only by the socket and the side panel with two screws...

Are the gtx200 series (especially the gtx295) cards designed so that it can safely be placed in a vertical computer case without the risk of physically damaging the card itself or the motherboard's PCI-E socket?

XDanger 12-13-09 09:49 AM

Re: GTX 200 board in a vertical computer case?

Thats how most people have them, Its fine.

Google "my graphics card broke my motherboard under the strain of its weight" or something and see if you find anything...

Or find some old broken hardware and see how much weight it takes to break a PCI slot or something :)

Yaboze 12-13-09 10:05 AM

Well, the cards are screwed to the back of the case, taking up 2 slots. I think that's wide enough to hold it properly.

JasonPC 12-13-09 03:15 PM

The thing that always gets me is huge CPU heatsinks. I have a huge/heavy heatsink on my CPU and naturally nothing is holding it on except for the mounting bracket screwed onto the motherboard. Seems like it would put uneven pressure due to gravity but I guess not.

VoodooKing 12-14-09 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinsen64 (Post 2142487)
As we all have noticed that gtx200 series cards are bulky huge and rather heavy, thus I have a question: "Is there any risk in placing this heavy card in a vertical computer case?"

The laws of physics kinda make me wonder if the PCI-E socket won't be damaged by the strain of the cards weight? Also the card itself is held in place only by the socket and the side panel with two screws...

Are the gtx200 series (especially the gtx295) cards designed so that it can safely be placed in a vertical computer case without the risk of physically damaging the card itself or the motherboard's PCI-E socket?

You don't need to worry because most motherboard manufacturers and graphic card manufacturers would have run extensive physical tests.

Unless you secure your card using cable ties instead of thumbscrews.....

XDanger 12-14-09 01:55 PM

Wheres the Youtube of that guy flapping his motherboard about with the push-pin heatsink?