nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Drive format question. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142856)

tjohn 12-20-09 04:51 PM

Drive format question.

Hey, I have a laptop (1 hard drive) with dual boot Vista/Win7. Originally I had Vista, then I did a shrink volume and split my hard drive in half and installed Win7 on the shrunk volume. Now I want to dump Vista and just use Win7. How do I get rid of the Vista volume? From Win7 windows explorer, choose the Vista drive letter and format?

Thanks, TJ

Bman212121 12-20-09 05:02 PM

Re: Drive format question.

No!

I'm not 100% sure about Vista / Win7 with the new boot manager, but if you did that you might delete the boot files causing neither one to work.

I think if you're loaded into windows 7 what you can do is delete the Vista partition, then extend your windows 7 partition. Once that is complete you'll need to reboot the system and boot from your Windows 7 disc. Then you'll run a boot repair to reload the boot manager. (Not sure what it's called) Then you should be able to boot back into windows 7.

The main thing is that you'll need to have the Windows 7 dvd handy to get rid of the Vista partition. If you do then you should be okay, just make sure to backup data before attempting to extend the partition.

tjohn 12-20-09 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121 (Post 2147699)
No!

I'm not 100% sure about Vista / Win7 with the new boot manager, but if you did that you might delete the boot files causing neither one to work.

I think if you're loaded into windows 7 what you can do is delete the Vista partition, then extend your windows 7 partition. Once that is complete you'll need to reboot the system and boot from your Windows 7 disc. Then you'll run a boot repair to reload the boot manager. (Not sure what it's called) Then you should be able to boot back into windows 7.

The main thing is that you'll need to have the Windows 7 dvd handy to get rid of the Vista partition. If you do then you should be okay, just make sure to backup data before attempting to extend the partition.

I don't see a delete partition option from Win7. I tried disk management and explorer.

tjohn 12-20-09 05:31 PM

I might try just popping in the Win7 disk and seeing what comes up... maybe an option to delete partitions??

FlakMagnet 12-21-09 05:32 AM

Before doing any of that, I highly recommend you image your drive! If you have something like Acronis True Image, backup onto an external drive then tinker to your heart's content.

Otherwise, you could end up having to reinstall Window 7.

betterdan 12-21-09 06:33 AM

Windows 7 already has an imaging tool. Go into the maintenance folder then check out backup and restore. ;)

K007 12-21-09 06:59 AM

i gave up after awhile.

if ure MBR is installed on the vista partition u cant just format the vista partition. if u go to computer management, and disk management, find where ure system partition is, if its on the same drive as vista...gl.

tjohn 12-21-09 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2148019)
i gave up after awhile.

if ure MBR is installed on the vista partition u cant just format the vista partition. if u go to computer management, and disk management, find where ure system partition is, if its on the same drive as vista...gl.

Looks like it Vista / system partion :(

http://home.comcast.net/~tjohn/drives.jpg

Boston 12-21-09 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Restoring the MBR and boot manager of Windows7 should be no problem. I only did it in XP though, where you booted with the setup disc for the recovery mode.
I have a 100MB partition for the boot manager I guess, so I'd make sure Windows7 has some space for this on the disc.

tjohn 12-21-09 07:35 PM

Well I can always just re install win7. Nothing much on the machine but emails. I'll give the win7 disk a go.

K007 12-22-09 02:14 AM

its different to xp, vista and w7 is a bit different.

i looked around and u kno after awhile i just gave up, its way too easy to **** it up and i really dont have the time to mess around with it.

I wonder what the other people who had Vista / W7 dual did...

my one attempt i formated the drive from w7 installation, then reboot and it said no boot record...so i had to boot to disc and hit repair and lucky it reparied the mbr, but again it installed the mbr the vista partition...

hmm i guess one thing is format it, then disable the ex-vista hdd, then repair, then replug it...i guess it will have to repair to the w7 partition the mbr..

Boston 12-22-09 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just successfully moved my system-partition to the beginning (after the 100MB) since I wanted to get rid of the D: partition (see my attached screenshot earlier). I only had to delete d: and move the left 'border' of c: to the beginning.

I used the free Business version of Partitionwizard (didn't try Home). It works very well and you just have to register in order to use it. The mail with the key arrived within minutes. :)
http://www.partitionwizard.com/

If it sounds like advertisement - well I almost gave up looking for a free application that works. :)