nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   VDPAU support for 7300GT (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142947)

bjoernk 12-23-09 08:49 AM

VDPAU support for 7300GT

The windows driver of my NVIDIA Geforce 7300GT supports purevideo technology. Why is VDPAU (that is the same technology) not supported by the linux driver?

Stephen Warren 12-23-09 10:59 AM

Re: VDPAU support for 7300GT

The XvMC and Xv APIs expose some of the PureVideo functionality on older GPUs.

W3ird_N3rd 12-25-09 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjoernk (Post 2149511)
The windows driver of my NVIDIA Geforce 7300GT supports purevideo technology. Why is VDPAU (that is the same technology) not supported by the linux driver?

My best guess would be that nVidia started work on vdpau a long time after they implemented purevideo on Windows. They probably couldn't really be bothered to implement support for the older cards for likely the following reasons:

1. Anything before the 8 series (and a few cards in the 8 series as well, 8800GT IIRC) do not support purevideo completely. So to implement support for them, a bigger part of the decoder would have to be written in software. Which is probably more work. For the 8 series and up, it's a bit more like "take the stream, dump it at the videocard and wait for the decoded pixels to fly out". Not entirely but still. For the 6 and 7 series, much more pre-processing is required.
2. Linux users never bought those cards expecting purevideo. They didn't "pay" for it, in a way. The got the product nVidia promised: a videocard that would display pictures, videos and games. They never promised purevideo and probably didn't feel like spending time and money to give those users something extra for free. I can't really blame them, it's still a company, you could expect them to only do freebies when that results in more profit.
3. They possibly considered the 6 and 7 series to be sort-of EOL. No extra features.
4. Since they didn't write support for your 7300GT, you now have to buy at least a new 8400GT. So not writing support results in another sale. Unfortunately that's how it works.

It would have been nice if they would have given the 6 and 7 series support as well, but I can't really blame them for not providing it. It was never promised to me when I bought my 6200, 6600GT and 7900GTO.

@Stephen: yes, but that's only for MPEG2 isn't it?

Alejandro Nova 12-27-09 07:52 PM

To be fair, Windows Vista didn't have a super-accelerated video reproduction here either (GeForce 6150). What I DO expect is: HW-accelerated MPEG-2 reproduction (and I didn't have it in Vista either, so I won't cry). And AFAIK that is what XvMC is for.

On the other hand, VDPAU flies in my relatively old 8500 (~30% CPU usage with 1080p video)

Stephen Warren 01-04-10 12:23 PM

W3ird_N3rd,

Yes, XvMC (or at least NVIDIA's implementation) only supports MPEG-2 decoding. Xv is purely a display technology (accelerated uploading of image content to the GPU, with all decode on the CPU), so it should provide some benefit over plain X11 output for any video format.