nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Windows XP Search not working (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143121)

technoid 12-29-09 10:43 AM

Windows XP Search not working

I don't know when this happened but when I right click on a drive or folder and use the "Search" feature it comes up with an empty window. Just now I right clicked on Drive C and chose Search and the Window that opened was empty except for the Menu below the Caption Bar. The two panes are there but they're both empty. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it. I've looked around using Google some and tried a few things but nothing has worked so far. I forgot exactly what I tried, ha, slept since then. But it was doing something from a Microsoft knowledge base that re-registered some dlls. Okay I did a search and here's what I did but it didn't work.

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

t3hl33td4rg0n 04-11-10 05:53 AM

Re: Windows XP Search not working

Try opening windows explorer (WinKey + E), then click the search button in the toolbar at the top.

Also, check:
Code:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and see if there is a NoFind option. Make sure its set to 0, or just delete it. Also, if you installed windows desktop search, uninstall it by running this command:
Code:

%systemroot%\$NtUninstallKB940157$\spuninst\spuninst.exe
also, try re-registering... (you can skip jscript.dll since you already did that one)
Code:

regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\srchasst\srchui.dll
regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

And reinstalling the srchasst.inf file might work.. IT should be located in C:\windows\inf - just right-click >> install

Last thing, open up TweakUI and goto the desktop tab, check the box for "Search results".

technoid 12-17-10 01:47 PM

Yeah... I already installed Windows XP again a while back and it works fine now. I do run an AntiVirus program so I'm not sure how it happened, but it's fixed now.

ThomasAnderson 02-24-12 04:18 AM

well, first u have to check for the viruses in our system because its a virus effect. Install a antivirus in your system and fully scan it so that it will clean your windows & restart.

After restart follow the registry tweak to fix the search.

ViN86 03-07-12 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasAnderson (Post 2531123)
well, first u have to check for the viruses in our system because its a virus effect. Install a antivirus in your system and fully scan it so that it will clean your windows & restart.

After restart follow the registry tweak to fix the search.

Hello Mr. Anderson. Thank your for your suggestion, Mr. Anderson.

Have a good day, Mr. Anderson.