nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   DNS Server App for Win7? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143346)

six_storm 01-04-10 05:21 PM

DNS Server App for Win7?

So my firewall is not doing a great job with DNS for local computers on the home network. Is there any app I can run from my main workstation that will substitute as a DNS server?

six_storm 01-06-10 09:10 AM

Re: DNS Server App for Win7?

Anybody? Geez, I guess I'm asking for too much out of software these days lol.

DiscipleDOC 01-06-10 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm (Post 2157862)
So my firewall is not doing a great job with DNS for local computers on the home network. Is there any app I can run from my main workstation that will substitute as a DNS server?

What type of router do you have? I know that my router is handling my DNS pretty good....

six_storm 01-06-10 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC (Post 2159077)
What type of router do you have? I know that my router is handling my DNS pretty good....

I have an AT&T 2Wire DSL router and it sucks. Takes like 2 hours to pick up a new computer on the network and be able to ping it from another computer.

I've got my Juniper firewall running as a DNS server right now. If you ping PC-a from PC-b, it will reply with a MAC address lol. Not the best choice.

I just figured there was some software SOMEWHERE that would substitute as a DNS server.

DiscipleDOC 01-06-10 12:15 PM

If I were you (and I'm glad I'm not--because people actually like me :p), I would consider getting a better router. I don't know much about that at&t router, but it seems to me that it's not doing all that you want it to be doing...

ViN86 01-06-10 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm (Post 2157862)

You can edit the hosts file on Linux (/etc/hosts) or in Windows (\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) to add computer names and their resolved IP addresses. As long as you don't have 10+ computers that shouldn't take too much time. Just set static IP's for each machine.

That would eliminate the need for a DNS on your local network. For outside the local network, I would just use OpenDNS.

six_storm 01-06-10 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2159281)
You can edit the hosts file on Linux (/etc/hosts) or in Windows (\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) to add computer names and their resolved IP addresses. As long as you don't have 10+ computers that shouldn't take too much time. Just set static IP's for each machine.

That would eliminate the need for a DNS on your local network. For outside the local network, I would just use OpenDNS.

That's a good idea. Everything but my laptop has a static IP, so I'll have to try that out.

OpenDNS is great, we use it for a lot of our clients. Sometimes, it will flake out for a short period of time but otherwise, it's great.

I use it for my familes house so it will block MySpace and pr0n sites. :D Wonder what chaos would appear if I blocked Facebook? :bleh:

six_storm 01-12-10 09:28 AM

Just FYI, this worked perfectly. Thanks guys!

ViN86 01-12-10 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm (Post 2163116)
Just FYI, this worked perfectly. Thanks guys!

Awesome. Those hosts files saved me big time a while back when I was setting up a VPN for the company I worked for :)

betterdan 01-12-10 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC (Post 2159190)
If I were you (and I'm glad I'm not--because people actually like me :p),

:rofl