nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Just installed Win 7 Ultimate (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143526)

v3rninater 01-09-10 01:50 AM

Just installed Win 7 Ultimate

Fresh install on a new hd and everything has been a piece of cake. Until I try to run steam games. I have a ton of games and they all worked in Vista. The only game I can run now is DOW II which I haven't touched in a long time. I get errors when trying to launch HL2 of any sort (TF2, Portal, Ep1-2). And I just re-downloaded killing floor and that again will not launch. It's like the system doesn't want the game to launch. Just hangs there, I've gone through steam support and done all the things they listed to no avail.

I've even disabled UAC, had to do that in vista as well, but at least games worked. Still don't understand, did Run as Admin, all that jazz. Man I thought Win 7 was this super os, but I can't run standard crap?

betterdan 01-09-10 02:30 AM

Re: Just installed Win 7 Ultimate

Not sure what the problem is, I have Win 7 Home Premium x64 and it runs all my Steam stuff just fine including HL2.

v3rninater 01-09-10 03:21 AM

I wonder if I have to reinstall, meh...dunno.

grey_1 01-09-10 09:04 AM

Have you verified cache on every game v3rn? My last round of downloads from steam, about 3 weeks ago, seemed like almost every one had to require 1 or 2 files before the games would launch.

Just a guess. Win7 Ultimate 64bit also btw.

fasedww 01-09-10 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betterdan (Post 2161064)
Not sure what the problem is, I have Win 7 Home Premium x64 and it runs all my Steam stuff just fine including HL2.

Me Too:D

v3rninater 01-09-10 10:14 AM

Well I did copy the files from my vista build over to Win 7, so I dunno if I have to re-download everything or what. Maybe I'll try backing up everything or something....yeesh I dunno what I did.

grey_1 01-09-10 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v3rninater (Post 2161175)
Well I did copy the files from my vista build over to Win 7, so I dunno if I have to re-download everything or what. Maybe I'll try backing up everything or something....yeesh I dunno what I did.

Just verify integrity of each game v3rn, no need to dl whole games. steam will dl only the files it needs.

v3rninater 01-09-10 11:03 AM

I did verify the cache's of each game, and it did nothing really. There's some other underlying issue that I don't know the cause of.

mailman2 01-09-10 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v3rninater (Post 2161175)

Theres your problem. I backup the steamapps folder only inside of steam and drop it in after I install Steam again. Works everytime. Sounds like you just moved the whole folder and didnt install Steam.

betterdan 01-09-10 01:59 PM

I did the same thing as mailman2.

ViN86 01-09-10 03:33 PM

Yea I don't think you can just copy/paste the game folders. You need to do a Steam backup like mailman and betterdan said.

v3rninater 01-09-10 09:28 PM

Actually no I don't, I've done file moving with in steam just fine from XP to Vista. But I can tell you what I found as the root of the problem. For some dumb reason Spyware Doctor my main anti-spyware/virus was doing the blocking. I quit the program and BOOM all the games worked np. Then I started it back up and they still work fine now. So I couldn't tell you WHY Spyware doc did that to begin with. It's a pretty darn good program and never ONCE stopped me in Vista or XP. So it's up in the air as to why, but I did figure it out, FYI.

Thanks for your help though guys!