nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Windows 7 takes 5 minutes to boot on SSD (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143548)

MustangSVT 01-09-10 03:30 PM

Windows 7 takes 5 minutes to boot on SSD

Hey fellas. I just installed Windows 7 x64 Pro and it takes a long time to boot, even though it's on a solid state drive (Intel 80GB G2).

The first time it booted up (after installation of OS), it was quick. This is the software I installed after which at the next boot up, it took a long time (5 to 10 minutes) to get to the login screen. It stays in the "Starting Windows" with that logo for the 5 to 10 minutes after which it finally goes to the user login screen. So here is the stuff I installed:

Intel motherboard chipset driver - from ASUS mobo CD
Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - from ASUS mobo CD
Atheros network card driver - from ASUS mobo CD
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy driver - from Creative's website
Mozilla Firefox
ATI Catalyst 9.12 hotfix driver - from guru3d website
Matrox Powerdesk - from Matrox website

The first thing I'll try is to unplug my Matrox TH2Go device (USB) and not use it, see if that is what's causing it. I'll check back here to see if anyone has advice or such.

betterdan 01-09-10 03:39 PM

Re: Windows 7 takes 5 minutes to boot on SSD

I had problems with a usb printer plugged in and turned on before. The computer did not like the printer powered up when booting and would take forever to boot up. My coworker had a similar problem with an external hard drive plugged into the usb port and powered up.
I think starting off unplugging your usb device is a good idea to start troubleshooting.

nekrosoft13 01-09-10 03:49 PM

i also ran into the usb issue before. where certain usb devices delay boot.

issue was on vista, i eventually found hotfix that fixed the issue.

Drolfrawd 01-09-10 03:55 PM

Probibily depends on your bios, but go into bios and disable any boot sequences that are using usb exernal, or similar. should take care of it. In fact , unless you have a need for it make only your hardrive bootable. let me know if this helps you.

MustangSVT 01-09-10 03:59 PM

I should mention that I have Windows XP SP3 (x32) on the same computer and that boots up fine.

ViN86 01-09-10 04:31 PM

Why did you install those drivers from the Mobo CD? Didn't Windows find those automatically or at least retrieve them from the Internet?

MustangSVT 01-09-10 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2161361)
Why did you install those drivers from the Mobo CD? Didn't Windows find those automatically or at least retrieve them from the Internet?

That's just how I always do things, I install the mobo drivers from the CD and the gigabit controller. I'm used to it so I did it. Was I not supposed to do it? :confused:

MustangSVT 01-09-10 05:39 PM

I looked at the Windows Logs in event viewer for "System" and saw that it takes approximately 9 minutes between OS restarts. I also saw this:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

There were 4 entries like this that said "Error" level and this appeared to be stalling the OS startup for about 8 minutes or so. I know that iaStor is from the Intel Matrix Manager or whatever it's called (to do with Hard Drives), so I uninstalled it, restarted, and W7 took about 10 to 15 seconds to start up so the problem is now fixed.

Dr.Nick 01-09-10 06:57 PM

Do not install any drivers off the cd, they are probably old as hell. Tbh you don't need any intel drivers for your mobo and drives. If I were to guess I would be blaming the intel matrix storage manager for your troubles.

shabby 01-09-10 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Nick (Post 2161446)
Do not install any drivers off the cd, they are probably old as hell. Tbh you don't need any intel drivers for your mobo and drives. If I were to guess I would be blaming the intel matrix storage manager for your troubles.

Ya i never installed any of those mobo/storage drivers either when i did my win7 install on the x25-m, i'd do the install over again. And also make sure you enable ahci in the bios before the install, it really speeds up your random reads on the x25-m.

goranzon 02-13-10 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangSVT (Post 2161395)
I looked at the Windows Logs in event viewer for "System" and saw that it takes approximately 9 minutes between OS restarts. I also saw this:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

There were 4 entries like this that said "Error" level and this appeared to be stalling the OS startup for about 8 minutes or so. I know that iaStor is from the Intel Matrix Manager or whatever it's called (to do with Hard Drives), so I uninstalled it, restarted, and W7 took about 10 to 15 seconds to start up so the problem is now fixed.

How could you see that The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period. Where in the event viewer? I have the exact same problem with my Lenovo t61 laptop. It also uses INtel Matrix manger and I have tried to uninstall it but it didnt help so I was wondering how you figured out what to look for in the event viewer and where?
Erik

t3hl33td4rg0n 02-14-10 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangSVT
... I know that iaStor is from the Intel Matrix Manager or whatever it's called (to do with Hard Drives), so I uninstalled it, restarted, and W7 took about 10 to 15 seconds to start up so the problem is now fixed.

Glad you got it fixed... But do remember...

Before installing a new OS, go to the manufacturer sites for your hardware and download the newest drivers for each component, and save them to a seperate drive, flash, or burn to disc.

95% of the time, when you get new hardware, the disc that comes with that hardware already has outdated software on it.

But dont throw the disc away! Some software updates require the original software to be installed before doing the update. For me, if thats the case, i will copy the disc to one of my storage drives or make an ISO, just in case... Plus installing from the HDD is a lot faster anyway.