nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Star Trek Online Beta Impressions (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143619)

NarcissistZero 01-11-10 10:21 PM

Star Trek Online Beta Impressions

Open Beta has started... my client is downloading. Will post impressions here when I play it, everyone else please do the same.

nekrosoft13 01-11-10 10:25 PM

Re: Star Trek Online Beta Impressions

fileplanet subscribers only?

Vanzagar 01-11-10 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NarcissistZero (Post 2162861)
Open Beta has started... my client is downloading. Will post impressions here when I play it, everyone else please do the same.

Be interested to hear, looking forward to this game, I sure hope they don't ruin it... please post pics if you can...

Vanzagar 01-11-10 11:25 PM

Release date in 3 weeks?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/start..._summary;title

NarcissistZero 01-11-10 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2162864)

I got mine from an amazon.com preorder.

nekrosoft13 01-12-10 12:42 AM

can you pre-order and cancel? i would like to try it, but don't want ot be stuck with it incause i don't like the beta.

NarcissistZero 01-12-10 06:27 AM

I've canceled amazon preorders before, so I would imagine so. I would make a statement about the beta not being a demo and shouldn't be used as one, but two weeks or so before release if it sucks I will cancel as well, so I shouldn't talk.

I finally got the whole damn thing downloaded and now they have server maintenance for two hours. Bah!

Bah! 01-12-10 12:23 PM

I've been in the beta test for a while, and I don't mind telling you it's a horrible game. I would definitely suggest that anyone interested in this game try it out before they waste their money.

NarcissistZero 01-12-10 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bah! (Post 2163165)
I've been in the beta test for a while, and I don't mind telling you it's a horrible game. I would definitely suggest that anyone interested in this game try it out before they waste their money.

WHY do you think it is horrible?

Anyway I logged on and made my character but when I try to start the game it says it is "full," so I guess during the open beta there is a quota of how many can play at once? Lame.

Maverick123w 01-12-10 05:23 PM

I played in the closed beta for a few weeks and I have to say I wasn't impressed.

Ground combat is pretty lame. Starship combat is OK... it was the most fun part of the game for me.

Like all cryptic games it's heavily heavily instanced which I tend to really dislike.

The graphics are pretty good.

Never PVP'd so I can't comment but I hear it's arena/BG style so I'm not really excited about that.

Server performance was terrible... but it's a beta so I guess it's to be expected.

IMO it's been like every single mmo released in the last 5 years.... absolutely mediocre.

Until someone comes out and really changes the game I feel like every mmo will enjoy 2-3 months of success until it's player base leaves out of boredom or the next big thing.

Johnny C 01-12-10 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter Bandit (Post 2163472)
I think heavily instanced MMOs are the best. Camping a spawn with a ton of other players trying to kill the same mob for some stupid quest or item isn't my idea of fun.

Yeah FFXI was terrible for that...

muffinman57 01-12-10 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2162864)

You just need to have a free account, not be a subscriber. Client is downloading via torrent. Much faster that way.