nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Windows update automatic reboot??? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143666)

CaptNKILL 01-13-10 02:27 AM

Windows update automatic reboot???

What the hell is this crap?

I was just playing Dragon Age Origins and the game minimized. The firefox window I had in the background was asking if I'd like to save the tabs for later, as if I was trying to close the program. Then without warning Windows explorer shut down, the shut down screen came up and said it was installing updates, my system rebooted, finished the updates and I was left at my desktop with the Microsoft Security Essentials window open.

:wtf:

I've never ever ever seen Windows update shut down active programs and reboot without any user interaction. According to the update history, the following updates were installed:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - January 2010 (KB890830)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB972270)
Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB972696 (Definition 1.71.2106.0)

So, I've just changed Windows update to only download updates and not to install them automatically. I've been using Windows 7 for several months now without anything even remotely close to a problem. Its been a totally flawless OS... but this is just stupid. Why would this happen?

Now I'm going to go load the game back up to see how much progress I lost. :headexplode:

AthlonXP1800 01-13-10 03:40 AM

Re: Windows update automatic reboot???

Hmmm well I only got 2 updates installed automatically without shutdown but I dont have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. So Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials caused your PC to shutdown and rebooted.

CaptNKILL 01-13-10 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 (Post 2163779)
Hmmm well I only got 2 updates installed automatically without shutdown but I dont have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. So Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials caused your PC to shutdown and rebooted.

It wasn't a definition update. I manually updated that afterward and it hadn't been updated in 2 days.

betterdan 01-13-10 03:56 AM

I got all 3 of those updates Captn but I have mine set to download updates but not install automatically. After I told it to install them it never rebooted or asked me to do so though.

AthlonXP1800 01-13-10 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 2163782)
It wasn't a definition update. I manually updated that afterward and it hadn't been updated in 2 days.

It definitely either Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials or Microsoft Security Essentials software caused PC to shutdown and rebooted. I researched about this on Internet and found one user aarste from Neowin forum complainted about the same problem with Microsoft Security Essentials beta last year and said turned off automatically update stopped PC rebooted after definition updates installed with other windows updates every month.

Quote:

How is the definition update done now in the final version?

The beta version of MSE used Windows Update / Automatic Updates for it, and I normally have this turned off because I don't like to be nagged to install security updates and reboot PC when MS releases them every month, but the problem is this would stop definition updates too. I hope it's been changed

jolle 01-13-10 03:01 PM

I had a popup saying that there were updated ready to install that may cause windows to reboot afterward, today.
I reacted to that and thought it couldnt mean it would just reboot when done without asking.
But I installed the updates manually some while later, and it never did reboot, or ask me to reboot.

But maybe the behavior is there, would be pretty weird though.

grey_1 01-13-10 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betterdan (Post 2163784)
I got all 3 of those updates Captn but I have mine set to download updates but not install automatically. After I told it to install them it never rebooted or asked me to do so though.

I have mine set to notify. I've never had an automatic reboot yet.

betterdan 01-13-10 06:30 PM

Actually what mine is set at is "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

nekrosoft13 01-13-10 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betterdan (Post 2164420)
Actually what mine is set at is "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

same here, but it still should not just reboot your PC no matter what you have set it to

unless capt by mistake or unknowing pressed the restart now in the small nag window.

ViN86 01-13-10 09:25 PM

Yea this is why I don't install updates until I am ready to reboot lol.

betterdan 01-14-10 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2164510)
same here, but it still should not just reboot your PC no matter what you have set it to

unless capt by mistake or unknowing pressed the restart now in the small nag window.

I agree, it shouldn't do that and never has on this Windows 7 PC. I know it automatically rebooted on our laptop running Vista before and it pissed me off.

Bman212121 01-16-10 09:20 AM

Well depending upon how it is setup there will be a countdown timer that if you don't reboot your pc after you get nagged a few times it will do it after 30 minutes for you. This happens only when you have it set to auto install updates. I normally keep my pc on notify only.

I've had this be a pretty annoying problem at work before. Updates gets turned on accidentally so the computer installs updates and reboots itself. The only problem with that is the computers have software loaded to revert any changes that were made, so when the come back from a reboot they want to install the updates again. :lol: