nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WTH did I do to my music folder? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143781)

ragejg 01-15-10 07:50 PM

WTH did I do to my music folder?

In objectdock once upon a time I reassigned the "music" icon to point to my network MyBook music folder instead of the My Music folder. So since then I've once had aneed to go in there. Well I was just trying to install itunes and on my user account it won't run because the My Music folder doesn't correctly exist. I created a guest account to see if it would work on that and it does.

On my user account if you right click on Music in start menu and hit properties this is what you get:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...usicfolder.jpg

Plus if you left click on it it does nothing at all.

I only want the my music folder operational so I can (regrettably) install itunes. I've never had something like this happen to a user specific folder before, so I'm a bit confused. Is there an ini file I can re-edit or something?

Redeemed 01-15-10 08:03 PM

Re: WTH did I do to my music folder?

You inadvertantly forced Windows 7 to successfully divide by zero.

Congratulations. The internet, and shortly after wards, all life as we know it will be decimated because of YOUR actions.

I hope you're happy. :mad:

ragejg 01-15-10 08:31 PM

Well, it's even worse, I've asked VISTA to divide by zero.

The world is dematerializing around me. Crap.

bob saget 01-16-10 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragejg (Post 2166230)
Well, it's even worse, I've asked VISTA to divide by zero.

The world is dematerializing around me. Crap.

Have you tried calling tech support? :(

DiscipleDOC 01-16-10 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 2166378)
Have you tried calling tech support? :(

The angels are too busy to b concern about dividing by zero. They gave us an instruction book long ago. It's not their fault he refused to read it.

ragejg 01-16-10 09:30 AM

It's not that uncommon of a thing apparently...

http://www.google.com/search?q=vista...ient=firefox-a

CaptNKILL 01-17-10 02:06 PM

Its possible that you deleted the desktop.ini file from the my music folder by accident. I don't know if that would cause that to happen, but its the only thing I can think of.

If you go under tools:folder options:view and "hide protected operating system files" isn't checked, then you should see a desktop.ini file in your my music folder.

Its probably different for Windows Vista, but under windows 7 this is all that's in that file:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21790
InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12689
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-108
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-237

If that file doesn't exist in your my music folder, you could try just creating a text document, renaming it to desktop.ini and pasting that text into it. It probably won't work since I'm using 7 but its worth a try.

Albo 01-18-10 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 2167116)
Its possible that you deleted the desktop.ini file from the my music folder by accident. I don't know if that would cause that to happen, but its the only thing I can think of.

If you go under tools:folder options:view and "hide protected operating system files" isn't checked, then you should see a desktop.ini file in your my music folder.

Its probably different for Windows Vista, but under windows 7 this is all that's in that file:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21790
InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12689
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-108
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-237

If that file doesn't exist in your my music folder, you could try just creating a text document, renaming it to desktop.ini and pasting that text into it. It probably won't work since I'm using 7 but its worth a try.

You could also go into that guest account, and copy that desktop.ini

t3hl33td4rg0n 01-18-10 06:01 PM

You may also want to check the "Location" of the music folder by looking at the properties of the default Music folder....

Code:

C:\Users\your_username/Music
right click on Music and goto properties... Check the location tab and it should show where the Music directory is located.

or you can check all directory junctions if the folder doesnt exist...

in the command prompt do this

Code:

cd \
dir /l /s

I could be wrong about the dir /l /s, im running XP so the switches are different.

ragejg 01-18-10 06:41 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give the suggestions a whirl.

Albo 01-20-10 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragejg (Post 2167958)
Thanks guys, I'll give the suggestions a whirl.

How did it go?