nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   195.3x Driver, Low Graphics Mode, Strange Xorg Error (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=144415)

hoerstes 02-03-10 04:41 PM

195.3x Driver, Low Graphics Mode, Strange Xorg Error

1 Attachment(s)
I am giving up. Acually I have problems with the NVIDIA drivers after nearly every Kernel upgrade, but until now I figured these out by myself. Not this time. I read the forum Sticky just in case I made some fundamental mistakes, I tried Google and Ubuntu Forums but no success. I tried the 195.30 and also the new 195.36 driver.
The Problem is that my System running Kubuntu is only starting the X Server in Low Graphics Mode.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log is giving me a strange error where even a Google search finds only 3 Sites:
Quote:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): No display devices found for this X screen.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal server error:
no screens found
I attach the generated bug log in hope someone can point me in the right directon.

Regards

edit: I am sorry I posted in the wrong section, post was meant to be in the NVIDIA Linux section :(

Arup 02-04-10 12:35 AM

Re: 195.3x Driver, Low Graphics Mode, Strange Xorg Error

Try sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and reboot.

hoerstes 02-04-10 03:38 AM

I tried that but no success.

thefirstm 02-04-10 09:47 PM

Are you using the nvidia .run package? If you are, you shouldn't. You should use drivers from a PPA, like mine. Just click here, and select Karmic or Lucid, depending on which one you use.

gradinaruvasile 03-06-10 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoerstes (Post 2178673)
I am giving up. Acually I have problems with the NVIDIA drivers after nearly every Kernel upgrade, but until now I figured these out by myself. Not this time. I read the forum Sticky just in case I made some fundamental mistakes, I tried Google and Ubuntu Forums but no success. I tried the 195.30 and also the new 195.36 driver.
The Problem is that my System running Kubuntu is only starting the X Server in Low Graphics Mode.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log is giving me a strange error where even a Google search finds only 3 Sites:

I attach the generated bug log in hope someone can point me in the right directon.

Regards

edit: I am sorry I posted in the wrong section, post was meant to be in the NVIDIA Linux section :(

Attach the whole Xorg log please.

I just had a problem with installing the 195.36.08 driver and on boot i got the same message. But the interesting part was BEFORE the latest lines - the module version mismatch - the previously installed version's kernel module was loaded.

But i was able to start gdm if i removed the nvidia module from memory (sudo rmmod nvidia) and then started gdm.

After a bit of googling turned out the kernel module was not updated in minitramfs and on boot the old module was loaded from it.

Solution was:

1. Install the driver
2. Log in in text mode (i use Debian, there is no fallback X), and issue the following command in theminal:

sudo update-initramfs

3. Reboot.

Try it, maybe it wil work for you too. It doesnt break anything.

Edit: stay away from 195.36.08 for now, there might be some issues with it - in Windows sme guys had their cards fried by the 196.75 driver that seemingly has similar changes to 195.36.08.