nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Integrated GT2xx solutions? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=144611)

openmedia 02-08-10 10:33 PM

Integrated GT2xx solutions?

Other than ION and Laptop solutions is anyone bringing out motherboards with integrated GT2xx graphics. In particular for HTPC solutions having a fully integrated solution like the older M2NPV-VM board from Asus would be ideal and a great way of controlling the power footprint.

From an HTPC perspective something equivalent to the GT220 would be ideal with support for an AMD or Intel CPU.

frenchy2k1 02-09-10 08:36 PM

Re: Integrated GT2xx solutions?

Nvidia has pretty much stopped chipset development for the moment, so no, nothing newer than ION (GF9400) exists from them.

You best bet will be an AMD chipset so far, as intel and integrated video don't match (or at least the performances wont be there). The HD4200 in the AMD785 chipset is reasonnably fast and probably sufficient for an HTPC. Search google for reviews, many have been done.

CaptNKILL 02-09-10 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 (Post 2182600)
Nvidia has pretty much stopped chipset development for the moment, so no, nothing newer than ION (GF9400) exists from them.

You best bet will be an AMD chipset so far, as intel and integrated video don't match (or at least the performances wont be there). The HD4200 in the AMD785 chipset is reasonnably fast and probably sufficient for an HTPC. Search google for reviews, many have been done.

This.

AMD's integrated GPUs aren't bad at all and the boards are dirt cheap.

I have a 780G board with integrated Radeon 3200 graphics and I played Crysis on it at a mix of low and medium settings at 640x480. :lol:

The resolution isn't too impressive, no, but it was playable, which is far more than most integrated chips can manage.

bacon12 02-10-10 10:32 AM

Damnit I just wrote about three paragraphs and had to re login and lost it.

Any way the abbrevated version is that I just got a new i5 laptop and am very happy with the hd intel igp. It plays blu ray and mkvs without any problems, and I have used it several times on my 47".

However I read this week that a new platform is coming soon codenamed Optimus. This will be a nvidia hybrid sli solution that works with the i3,i5 intel igp. Supposed to be really nice from what I hear, but if I were building an htpc right now I would seriously look into the i3/i5 and a decent board. Or wait to see what optimus turns out to be like.

openmedia 02-10-10 09:36 PM

Problem is accelerated video playback support isn't available under Linux on these AMD and Intel solutions, hence why I'm looking for an NVidia based board.