nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 - Cloud Computing for you (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148275)

nekrosoft13 02-24-10 05:31 PM

Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 - Cloud Computing for you

Microsoft said on Wednesday that it has made Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 available for purchase by schools and educational institutions around the world.

The idea of MultiPoint Server is that it will reduce the cost for many businesses and schools worldwide. The solution works by having a central point for one server to exist and multiple mice, keyboards, speakers and monitors attached to the one system. Each session provides a user with a unique Remote Desktop to the MultiPoint Server. The product is a brain child of Microsoft Research India. Microsoft officials demonstrated 16 monitors simultaneously playing 720P HD video using the processing power of one PC (an Intel Core i7 system) in 2009. Microsoft is aiming the shared resource computing technology primarily at schools but claims businesses who wish to train staff on technologies could benefit too. The cost savings are huge as each session would only require an additional monitor, keyboard, mouse and a user license to use the Remote Desktop session in MultiPoint.

Earlier this month, a beta build of the new server operating system leaked online for all to see. The build, named RC2, became available on popular file sharing networks and BitTorrent sites. Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 is built on top of Windows Server 2008 R2.

Microsoft faces stiff competition from Userful Corporation, the world leader in multiseat Linux desktop virtualization. Userful said on Tuesday that 30,000 schools worldwide have chosen Userful virtual desktops in the past seven years. Userful believes Microsoft will be playing catchup. "Another classic case of Linux vs. Windows, only this time Linux has the upper hand with Userful having already sold 750,000 seats," said a Userful spokesperson.

MultiPoint Server 2010 is available immediately, for more information see the MultiPoint site.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...nt-server-2010

amina 03-22-10 02:46 PM

Re: Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 - Cloud Computing for you

Hi Guys,

I'd like to invite you to
Interactive Analytics: The Newest Web 2.0 SaaS BI Solution
March 24, 2010

Speakers

Boris Evelson
Principal Analyst at Forrester Research
Evelson will discuss the key findings and results of his latest report, ""BI in the cloud? Yes, And on the Ground, Too""

Anil Chitkara
Senior VP of Market Development at Oco, Inc.
Chitkara will discuss the characteristics and use of an enterprise-class SaaS BI solution

Aaron Graber
Senior Manager of OnDemand Solutions Engineering at SAP BusinessObjects
Will bring you the latest innovations in Web 2.0-based interactive analytics

Learn more here.

DiscipleDOC 03-24-10 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2195308)
Microsoft said on Wednesday that it has made Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 available for purchase by schools and educational institutions around the world.

The idea of MultiPoint Server is that it will reduce the cost for many businesses and schools worldwide. The solution works by having a central point for one server to exist and multiple mice, keyboards, speakers and monitors attached to the one system. Each session provides a user with a unique Remote Desktop to the MultiPoint Server. The product is a brain child of Microsoft Research India. Microsoft officials demonstrated 16 monitors simultaneously playing 720P HD video using the processing power of one PC (an Intel Core i7 system) in 2009. Microsoft is aiming the shared resource computing technology primarily at schools but claims businesses who wish to train staff on technologies could benefit too. The cost savings are huge as each session would only require an additional monitor, keyboard, mouse and a user license to use the Remote Desktop session in MultiPoint.

Earlier this month, a beta build of the new server operating system leaked online for all to see. The build, named RC2, became available on popular file sharing networks and BitTorrent sites. Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 is built on top of Windows Server 2008 R2.

Microsoft faces stiff competition from Userful Corporation, the world leader in multiseat Linux desktop virtualization. Userful said on Tuesday that 30,000 schools worldwide have chosen Userful virtual desktops in the past seven years. Userful believes Microsoft will be playing catchup. "Another classic case of Linux vs. Windows, only this time Linux has the upper hand with Userful having already sold 750,000 seats," said a Userful spokesperson.

MultiPoint Server 2010 is available immediately, for more information see the MultiPoint site.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...nt-server-2010

Nice....I've been looking for a solution for a private school that I'm doing some side tech work for...

hell_of_doom227 04-07-10 10:38 AM

If MS decides to push Windows 8 and later as cloud based operating systems, i am going to say goodbye to MS and Windows and switch to Linux. They can shovel ideal of cloud computing up to their ass cause that's the worst idea some idiot came up with.

lduguay 04-07-10 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 (Post 2228338)
If MS decides to push Windows 8 and later as cloud based operating systems, i am going to say goodbye to MS and Windows and switch to Linux. They can shovel ideal of cloud computing up to their ass cause that's the worst idea some idiot came up with.

Cloud computing works fine in a lab with unlimited network bandwidth and zero latency. Last time i checked, the speed of light hasn't changed and going across the globe back and forth still takes at least 400ms.