nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Acer 8940g 250m GTS downclocking: (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148317)

DuckGERN7 02-25-10 04:03 PM

Acer 8940g 250m GTS downclocking:

Hello,

I have the Acer 8940g with the 250m GTS. It's brand new (not even a week old).

Problem:

I seem to have performance problems sometimes, it happens without any tasks running in the background, as well when tasks are running - doesn't make a difference. Windows 7 is up 2 date as well as other built-in hardware.

Example of the problem:

When playing, for example World of Warcraft (happens with ALL my other games as well), then my performance drops sometimes - not always - (happens at random like it seems) by 50% and I can only get it back to normal with restarting the PC.

What I have done so far and what I think could be wrong:

I couldn't update the drivers past 187.xx, because the 250m GTS isn't supported by the off. NVIDIA drivers - WHY?!

I checked the GPU under load (WoW) with CPU-Z when the performance drop accured. I will attach screenshots to this thread in order to show what I mean. The clockrate, memoryspeed and shader speed dropps and stays like that untill reboot. As soon as I reboot my computer the speed is up to normal again for hours and hours. What could be causing this?

NVIDIA Drivers 187.66 are installed. I need to know for sure before I go and bring this thing back. It's bad enough not beeing able to update drivers on your own and therefor depending on Acer to do so (tech. support said MAYBE in June/July), but it's worse that the card is downclocking for some reason - even in high performance mode (Win7).

Thank you. If you need more information, please do tell. I will be checking this reg. within the next 48 hours, you guys are my last hope.

Screenshots:

Performance DROP and clockrates CPU-Z: http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7...putakt3fps.jpg

Back to NORMAL after reboot CPU-Z: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2...4fpsreboot.png

The way the game runs when performance is stable and at full power (60fps stable all the time): http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9025/wowfpsnice.jpg

bob saget 02-25-10 07:02 PM

Re: Acer 8940g 250m GTS downclocking:

That sucks. Be patient and someone should be able to help you. Personally, mobile GPUs are hit and miss for me. Some work great, some do not. My old Mobile ATi 9800Pro was a miracle worker.
Just a suggestion: have you tried lowering details/special effects, and seeing if it runs better? also, have you tried running the games with the laptop actually plugged into the wall?

DuckGERN7 02-25-10 07:15 PM

Hello, thank you for responding. Yes, the laptop is always connected to the wall. I never take it out on cell, it`s more a desktop replacement for me. I had my desktop pc, a very powerful one, but I needed something smaller but not too small. I thought this would be perfect.

About the details, yeah, I've tried that as well. When the performance drops like that, and stays, even lowering details helps minimal to none. The downclock is just too much. I took WoW as an example because that game is not demanding. Usually I get 60fps on high-ultra there - even on 1080p but when that random drop appears, it`s like 20-35fps maximum on all games that had 60fps+ before.

Problem is I`m from Europe/Germany and the vendor doesn't seem to see any reason to take this back, unless I can prove something is wrong with the hardware, which is. What good is a nice and fast enough 250m gts if I can't get the max. out of it.

I remember my Toshiba Laptop with 2x8600m gt never had any problem like this, I guess your right, some work out and some do not. Anyway, the sooner we find out what this is, the better. I can see him saying those "2 weeks to return the laptop" are over and then I am screwed.

I was thinking of going for the Qosmio series this time but that one has the 250m GTS as well.

DuckGERN7 02-26-10 06:20 AM

I called Acer today.

Yet again I had to wait 45min in the waiting line ( I called 5min after they opened up support today and all lines were already busy the robot of the future said so -,-). Yesterday it was two hours and the day before that it was 2:30h waiting. The support is very friendly , but man, they sure let you wait AND pay (0,99 Euro/Min once you get someone on the phone).

Anyway, she told me to update my BIOS, but told me by doing so I would be doing it on my own risk and that it isn't covered by Acer if something goes wrong, whatever...

I did it and it didn't change a thing. I just had the same problem right now, wanting to logg in a bit in to WoW. So, now she said I would have to wait 1-2 days for the higher level prof. tech. support to contact me. 1) I bet it is going to take far more time then 1-2 days 2) I doubt they will have a solution and 3) I forgot this one.

This just sucks...

THE duck.

CaptNKILL 02-26-10 07:17 AM

Sounds like a video driver problem to me.

Go to www.laptopvideo2go.com and download the latest driver and the modified .inf file for it. Extract the driver and then put the .inf file in that directory to replace the old one. This file allows the newest drivers to work on all nvidia cards.

DuckGERN7 02-26-10 03:14 PM

Hello,

I said that to the support and my vendor. The vendor trying to assure me, after all these years power pc using, that the video driver couldn't be the cause of this - yeah right. Anyway, I know about the laptopvideo2go drivers, but I am not too sure about using them. I tried those back then with my Vaio and it gave me more problems then actually solving things (Bluescreens etc.).

What is the difference between these and the nvidia ones in detail? I do not understand. If it's just a matter of adding some lines, why would NVIDIA wait on the 250m GTS series?

Thank you, though.

Duck