nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   GTX 260 for Physx / CUDA (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148810)

snowmanwithahat 03-11-10 01:47 PM

GTX 260 for Physx / CUDA

So I'm presented with the opportunity to have a GTX 260 (192) for a very modest $100.... I'd be using it along-side my gtx 285 for physx and as a CUDA device when doing things that can actually take advantage of CUDA.

I'm not sure if its worth it though... it's a great deal but I'm not sure I can put the power to use.... or possibly a more cost-effecient method of putting it to use would be to just get another 285 and go with an sli setup.

I'm also considering selling the 285 for a 470 when they are released.... any opinions would really be appreciated

Yaboze 03-12-10 09:51 AM

Re: GTX 260 for Physx / CUDA

Well, a GTX 260-216 is around $200 new, of course $100 is half the price.

I was using a 9600 GT for PhysX and I don't think it was worth it, I ended up pulling it out.

I guess it depends on how many PhysX games you really play with all of that turned on.

As much as I like the idea of it, I just don't think PhysX is really worth it right now. I certainly wouldn't only buy Nvidia because of it. When I had a 4870 I didn't miss it at all, the only thing I did miss were Nvidia's drivers, which are better, IMHO.

It also seems like you are into CUDA, if you are interested in CUDA programming and PhysX, I guess it might be worth it for you, but for games, I wouldn't bother.

CaptNKILL 03-12-10 12:33 PM

I'd buy a GTX 260 for that price whether I needed it or not. :lol:

That's a smoking deal.

You could always just try it out. Play some Physx games, take advantage of the performance improvement, and then take the card out if you aren't using it any more. If you end up not needing it at all, sell it for a profit. That's what I did with my 9600GT. Its currently going into a system I'm building for a friend.

snowmanwithahat 03-12-10 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 2206979)
I'd buy a GTX 260 for that price whether I needed it or not. :lol:

That's a smoking deal.

You could always just try it out. Play some Physx games, take advantage of the performance improvement, and then take the card out if you aren't using it any more. If you end up not needing it at all, sell it for a profit. That's what I did with my 9600GT. Its currently going into a system I'm building for a friend.

That's kind of how i tried justifying it to myself lol.

I actually use alot more CUDA enabled programs than just physx so it definetly does have some benefit there... it's just tough dropping $100 on a video card that I can't use in sli... even if I had an sli board