nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bug 195.36.15: GT 330M (Sony VPCF115FM): mode switching, edid, backlight, dual screen (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149043)

eijk 03-17-10 04:29 PM

Bug 195.36.15: GT 330M (Sony VPCF115FM): mode switching, edid, backlight, dual screen

1 Attachment(s)

The report log is from after switching to the text console.

damentz 03-17-10 07:15 PM

Re: Bug 195.36.15: GT 330M (Sony VPCF115FM): mode switching, edid, backlight, dual sc

1 Attachment(s)
I can confirm the following with some minor adjustments

Quote:

Originally Posted by eijk (Post 2211591)
  • mode switching to and from text console results in a strange white pattern (greying out), nothing else visible (no crash)

I can switch VT's, but I can't see any of them. Blindly hitting ctrl alt f7 lets me get back to X.

Quote:

• need to explicitly specify EDID from /proc:

Code:

Option        "CustomEDID" "DFP-0: /proc/acpi/video/NGFX/LCD/EDID"

Thank you! I was using a downloaded EDID before I tried this trick. I'm very curious why this works and the driver can't grab the EDID itself.

Quote:

I'm using the nvidia_bl driver to manage the backlight controls - Fn keys still don't work. I helped add support for the 330M card.

Quote:

I can get two screens to work on my 330M, but with my main screen broken some how with EDID, plug and play won't work. So if I forget to boot my laptop without my monitor plugged in, it will never find it.

Anyway, I attached my own bug report.

davidefrancesco 03-18-10 07:24 AM

Re: Bug 195.36.15: GT 330M (Sony VPCF115FM): mode switching, edid, backlight, dual sc

Hello All,
I recently bought a sony vaio VPCCW2S8e laptop with nvidia geforce GT320M video card and I can't get a better resolution than 800*600 under UBUNTU 9.10 64 bit. If I search for official driver from System->Administration->Driver Hardware comes out an empty list. I've tried to search with ENVY which driver was avilable for my video card but the three driver that came out were niether compatible nor Recommended....
I need to use ubuntu for my thesis, since there are things I just can't do using windows and I would like to have some piece of information about the release date of such drivers for my video card, or at least some advice over the drivers I could use to make my video card working.

Thanks to all who will help me

Davide

kenjiru 03-18-10 01:01 PM

I confirm all the problems reported above. The most annoying one is the brightness control. Practically it makes the laptop useless on battery, because of it's very short life.

I wish nVidia will do something about it!

kenjiru 03-18-10 02:32 PM

The brightness problem can be solved without installing any additional module. You just needed to add the following line to the "Device" section of your xorg.conf:

Code:

Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
After adding the line, just restart your X server and everything will work fine, including the auto brightness dimming.

damentz 03-19-10 07:43 PM

That fix only seems to work for certain models of these new Sony laptops. I had to install the nvidia-bl module to get backlight controls working.

LoneTech 03-20-10 03:16 PM

I also have these problems (Vaio F11M1E). 195.36.15 driver.
Switching back to text mode does not reset the screen properly, resulting in the white screen. The problem is also triggered by suspend.
However, the nvidia driver is capable of restoring proper graphics mode; switching to a different output mode and back with the xrandr tool restores display (e.g. "xrandr -r 51 ; xrandr -r 50"). I shall see about scripting this workaround.

damentz 03-21-10 12:56 AM

I would like to back track on my point about dual screens working. It actually doesn't.

I have Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0,DFP-1" set, so any monitor on those ports gets detected. If I remove that, for some reason, my hdmi port isn't probed and my external monitor is never found.

The same goes for just specifying DFP-1. I did configure the EDID to be found in the /proc interface, but my main laptop lid screen is still not found without forcing it to use the port it's on.

kgas 05-05-10 03:15 AM

I have the problem of backlight adjustment with GT330M on Sony Vaio VPCCW26FA/B model. LCD is too bright and the function keys did not work. (OS:Arch Linux). There is one package in AUR nvidia_bl which works but not consistent. nvidia driver version : 195.36.15