nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Man, it is sooo hot. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149432)

turdhat 03-27-10 11:15 AM

Man, it is sooo hot.

Hearing warnings about not touching the exposed heatpipes etc are really bugging me. This thing is bound to raise case temps by a fair amount unless you have a damn wind tunnel (which I do). I am for sure going to bag a 480 once some of the dust settles.

Glad I have my pc in the room directly behind my home theater setup. I dont have to hear it that way so I will crank that fan and have plenty of high rpm fans running in the case as well. Just ran all my cables via a small conduit I made right to my entertainment center. The only pc components that are in the room with me are the receiver for the mouse and key board and the outboard dvd drive.

Maybe we should consider a little fire safety training before we jump on these cards !

grey_1 03-27-10 11:53 AM

Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turdhat (Post 2219697)
Hearing warnings about not touching the exposed heatpipes etc are really bugging me. This thing is bound to raise case temps by a fair amount unless you have a damn wind tunnel (which I do). I am for sure going to bag a 480 once some of the dust settles.

Glad I have my pc in the room directly behind my home theater setup. I dont have to hear it that way so I will crank that fan and have plenty of high rpm fans running in the case as well. Just ran all my cables via a small conduit I made right to my entertainment center. The only pc components that are in the room with me are the receiver for the mouse and key board and the outboard dvd drive.

Maybe we should consider a little fire safety training before we jump on these cards !

:rofl

MikeC 03-27-10 12:15 PM

I would recommend a high-quality 120mm fan pointing directly at the heatpipes with the side of the case opened. I was able to lower the GPU temp by 11 Celsius under load.

http://www.nvnews.net/articles/gefor...t_look/fan.jpg

I haven't tried the 480 GTX in a closed case and I believe that extraordinary measures will need to be taken to keep the GPU cool in that situation.

I would really like to see MSI offer a "Twin Frozr" model.

http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/20...n260gtx_oc.jpg

In this type of configuration, an EVGA GeForce 260 216 Superclocked ran at 91 C under load, while the MSI NX260GTX OC ran at 77 C - with the fan speed forced at 40%.

For those looking to purchasing a high-quality 120mm fan, you can check out this roundup at MadShrimps. They compared 35 models.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=892

Just trying to come up with effective cooling solutions for those interested in moving to a 480 GTX...

lee63 03-27-10 12:20 PM

Yeah... I think I will be looking at some kind of aftermarket cooling for these 480s.

Slytat 03-27-10 12:21 PM

Sounds like you will really need LC for these in any realistic usage situation tbh.

The HardOCP test showed it hitting 95c very quickly and it wasn't even in a case.

methimpikehoses 03-27-10 12:24 PM

Looks like fermi's not for me.

MikeC 03-27-10 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee63 (Post 2219755)
Yeah... I think I will be looking at some kind of aftermarket cooling for these 480s.

I respect people that try to come up with solutions in a challenging situation. In my opinion, more of this type of thinking is needed instead of the constant bashing that we continue to see (about the 480 GTX or any other product).

Keep us posted on what you're considering. Even if you decide to forego an upgrade, that's OK. At least you're thinking things through before admitting to defeat :)

Sazar 03-27-10 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 2219763)
I respect people that try to come up with solutions in a challenging situation. In my opinion, more of this type of thinking is needed instead of the constant bashing that we continue to see (about the 480 GTX or any other product).

Please keep us posted on what you are considering. Even if you decide to forego an upgrade, that's OK. At least your thinking things through before admitting to defeat :)

Do you see the rear of the card becoming got too? Do you think a shroud with a heat-sink extending over the back (increasing surface area) would work?

I know it would kill tri-sli or whatever, but just looking @ it from a cooling standpoint.

Also, any options of a fully unlocked 480GTX (without one module disabled) :D

That would be an awesome review update my good man :D

Hope you're feeling better and really looking forward to the next masterpiece.

Yaboze 03-27-10 12:35 PM

I have an Antec 900 with a 120MM Antec LED fan in the window side panel right by my 285. The fan is set to drawn air in onto the card. Anyway, I hope that is enough to cool a 480 but I am going to wait a bit.

MikeC 03-27-10 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 2219767)
Do you see the rear of the card becoming got too? Do you think a shroud with a heat-sink extending over the back (increasing surface area) would work?

I know it would kill tri-sli or whatever, but just looking @ it from a cooling standpoint.

Also, any options of a fully unlocked 480GTX (without one module disabled) :D

That would be an awesome review update my good man :D

Hope you're feeling better and really looking forward to the next masterpiece.

LOL. I wish I were a masterpiece kind of guy, but I do appreciate the comment and I am slowy getting better :)

I would think that extending the heat-sink over the back would help in cooling the GPU, but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Another thest that I conducted was to take a second 120mm fan and point it directly at the back of the graphics card. Unfortunatly, it didn't lower the GPU temp at all :(

Revs 03-27-10 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 2219749)
I haven't tried the 480 GTX in a closed case and I believe that extraordinary measures will need to be taken to keep the GPU cool in that situation.

Extraordinary measures? wow :lol:

Anyone run these things watercooled yet? Seems it's the only way.

Airbrushkid 03-27-10 12:56 PM

I think water cooled is the way to go. If I mange to be able to get one this year I will go water cooled.