nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149490)

DarkOneX 03-29-10 10:26 AM

Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
I was first looking at upgrading from my GTX 285 to the 470 for my birthday present :p. I have read over all the reviews and seen the benches and see that clearly the 480 ownz in alot of things but the 470 seems good too but I can't decide if I would see a good enough boost going from my current 285 to the 470 or if it should go for the 480. I mean I could buy either one but I'd rather maybe save some money and get the 470 but just not sure if it performs better enough to bother.

Basically what I want is in Just Cause 2 to be able to turn on SSAO, Bokeh filter, and water geometry back on and maybe some AA/AF turned up and have it run smoothly. Right now I have it @ max details 1920x1200 except SSAO, Bokeh filter, and water geo off and 0AA and 4XAF and it runs very well now but would really like that stuff turned on. As it stands now if I enable that stuff it runs 20fps or a bit less. Most any game aside from that and Metro 2033 I can currently run @ max details with no probs. I imagine if I bought the 480 I could surely turn all that on and it run smooth but I think the 470 might be able to also but I'd be disappointed if I got it and couldn't.

Thoughts?

|MaguS| 03-29-10 10:30 AM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
It would be a boost but not a huge one, the GTX480 would be a better upgrade. Now getting another GTX285 would be cheaper and better performing then getting a single GTX480 though.

DarkOneX 03-29-10 10:36 AM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
Ya I wouldn't want SLI though, I got friends with it and every one of them complain of stuttering issues which would drive me insane. Also wanted to throw out there that the cost of the upgrade potentially would be $50-$100 for the 470 or $200-$250 for the 480 depending on how much I get out of my XFX GTX 285 on Ebay. Going by completed auctions for them just this weekend I saw a couple used ones go for over $300 so I may be lucky and get that I hope.

|MaguS| 03-29-10 11:33 AM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkOneX (Post 2221030)
Ya I wouldn't want SLI though, I got friends with it and every one of them complain of stuttering issues which would drive me insane. Also wanted to throw out there that the cost of the upgrade potentially would be $50-$100 for the 470 or $200-$250 for the 480 depending on how much I get out of my XFX GTX 285 on Ebay. Going by completed auctions for them just this weekend I saw a couple used ones go for over $300 so I may be lucky and get that I hope.

Stuttering hasn't been an issue with SLi for a long time. I have SLi right now and I love it. I would have upgraded if it had been worth it but only going SLi or XFire would be worth it for me.

Revs 03-29-10 11:39 AM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
[H] put it nicely...

Quote:

GeForce GTX 470

Starting from the bottom up, we would say the least relevant video card is the GeForce GTX 470. In all our gameplay testing today, not once did the GeForce GTX 470 provide a superior gameplay experience compared to the Radeon HD 5850, even in Metro 2033. In fact, performance was very close between both video cards, and in some cases the Radeon HD 5850 proved to provide faster framerates. Looking strictly at performance, these video cards are equal.

Of course, we have to look beyond just performance, as metrics such as cost and power consumption come into play. The GeForce GTX 470 is more expensive than the Radeon HD 5850. We are seeing some great deals on Radeon HD 5850 cards starting to crop up, and the fact is that the Radeon 5850 can be purchased with a lot less of your cold hard cash. Looking at power, the GeForce GTX 470 consumes a good bit more power than the Radeon HD 5850, while also producing higher thermals.

The HD 5850 is the clear value winner when compared to the GTX 470. We have been telling you that the Radeon 5850 is the best value in enthusiast video cards since last year and the GTX 470 does nothing to change that.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...0_sli_review/8

Also, the 5850 will OC 30%!

Toss3 03-29-10 11:51 AM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
A 5850 is a better card for the money than a GTX 470.

The difference between a 5870 and a 5850 is negligible unless you really need that extra 5%. They both overclock to the same speeds as well.

DarkOneX 03-29-10 11:51 AM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
Heh, I also can't help but think we'll be seeing revamps of these before long with more shader processors and for the same price so maybe I should just wait.

DarkOneX 03-29-10 11:52 AM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toss3 (Post 2221080)
A 5850 is a better card for the money than a GTX 470.

The difference between a 5870 and a 5850 is negligible unless you really need that extra 5%. They both overclock to the same speeds as well.

I'm hardcore nVidia though so you won't see me with an ATI card. I've tried it before and got burned so never again. I'm thinking I will likely just break down and get the 480.

wishiknew 03-29-10 12:13 PM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
Going from 285 to 470 is very close to going sideways. If it was me, I won't do it.

Toss3 03-29-10 12:16 PM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkOneX (Post 2221082)
I'm hardcore nVidia though so you won't see me with an ATI card. I've tried it before and got burned so never again. I'm thinking I will likely just break down and get the 480.

I'd definitely go for a GTX 480 over a GTX 470 especially coming from a GTX 285. :)

DiscipleDOC 03-29-10 12:43 PM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 2221073)
Stuttering hasn't been an issue with SLi for a long time. I have SLi right now and I love it. I would have upgraded if it had been worth it but only going SLi or XFire would be worth it for me.

This. I play a lot of games and haven't had a stuttering problem yet.

Fotis 03-29-10 01:21 PM

Re: Worth Upgrading GTX 285 to 470?
 
If you can afford it, the GTX480 gets another vote from me!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.