nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   NVIDIA's Drew Henry speaks about GTX480 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149644)

Rollo 04-01-10 07:55 PM

NVIDIA's Drew Henry speaks about GTX480

http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/201...pc-gaming.html

XMAN52373 04-01-10 08:24 PM

Re: NVIDIA's Drew Henry speaks about GTX480

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo (Post 2224374)

I already gave him an earful for nvidia tossing in the towel on the 512Sps, B1 stepping to fix the issues, the heat, power and the price.

Slytat 04-01-10 09:10 PM

A bad gamble IMHO.

The 4x0 series cards have received a lukewarm reception at best and as much as the tessellation and compute aspects of the cards are stronger than ATI's, no Dev/Publisher in their right mind is going to risk developing a game that doesn't run well on ATI's hardware at this point. By the time either of these features are relevant in anything other than benchmarks, ATI will have answered (possibly more than once).

The 480 is the performance leader, but given the heat etc, the only way you are realistically going to own one (or more) of these cards is by way of LC (or extensive additional air cooling). Why bother with that when you can go ATI and not have to worry about the extra expenditure and hassle?

This is the first time I have gone back to ATI in my main box in over 5 years but my experience thus far has been very positive. Nvidia's awful PR and their underhanded tactics (such as disabling GPU Physx on an Nvidia card when an ATI GPU is detected) are making me very happy I switched.

Short of something earth shattering from Nvidia, I don't see myself returning any time soon.

K007 04-01-10 10:18 PM

Why are u unbanned?

Rollo 04-01-10 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2224472)
Why are u unbanned?

I'm a darn nice guy? Eat my Wheaties? Clean living?

Hard to say sport. Could be I was only vacationed a week though.

XMAN52373 04-01-10 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo (Post 2224477)
I'm a darn nice guy? Eat my Wheaties? Clean living?

Hard to say sport. Could be I was only vacationed a week though.

Hey Rollo, as much as I'd like to have a 480, unless Nvidia GAVE me one with a waterblock, I will never buy either of teh 4x0 cards.

Gaco 04-02-10 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slytat (Post 2224420)
A bad gamble IMHO.

The 4x0 series cards have received a lukewarm reception at best and as much as the tessellation and compute aspects of the cards are stronger than ATI's, no Dev/Publisher in their right mind is going to risk developing a game that doesn't run well on ATI's hardware at this point. By the time either of these features are relevant in anything other than benchmarks, ATI will have answered (possibly more than once).

The 480 is the performance leader, but given the heat etc, the only way you are realistically going to own one (or more) of these cards is by way of LC (or extensive additional air cooling). Why bother with that when you can go ATI and not have to worry about the extra expenditure and hassle?

This is the first time I have gone back to ATI in my main box in over 5 years but my experience thus far has been very positive. Nvidia's awful PR and their underhanded tactics (such as disabling GPU Physx on an Nvidia card when an ATI GPU is detected) are making me very happy I switched.

Short of something earth shattering from Nvidia, I don't see myself returning any time soon.

To switched back for the first time since 9800 Pro, my current feelings exactly.

Sazar 04-02-10 01:42 PM

So much PR :(

noko 04-04-10 03:03 AM

I am more curious of the real users are going to say and also when a refresh or update will be happening. At this time I think most will have a good experience with either an ATi or Nvidia card. ATi's southern island project that looks to be a go for the end of this year and Nvidia getting over the hump with Fermi should make things more interesting by Christmas.

john19055 04-05-10 09:18 AM

I wish nvidia would change there mind on the Phys-X ,people would buy there cards just for the Phys-x ,it may not be there top card but at least they would have more sales in that department .I think this was shameful how they made it if a ATI card is in your computer then it disables it.I just can't see spending $600 on a card that is faster in most cases but the heat ,power draw and the one that gets me the noise.And if they are not going to shrink the die I can't see doing a respin is going to help the heat and power draw unless they come out with a new materail other then silicon to reduce heat.I just don't think they will make many of these cards due to the problems they are haveing.