nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Cooling Tri-SLI (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149759)

Roliath 04-05-10 11:38 PM

Cooling Tri-SLI

I just added a third 285 today and boy does it get hot.

Anyone know of a good deep fan I can use as my intake fan to get a little bit more air to the cards?

Muppet 04-06-10 05:14 AM

Re: Cooling Tri-SLI

One of the Scyth Ultra Kaze will do it nicely. I'm using 2 of the 3000 rpm versions on my CPU heatsink and a good fan controller. They pump some serious air, even at low fan speeds.

lduguay 04-06-10 07:17 AM

I use to have serious heat issues in TRI-SLI with my 285 FTW. I switch my case (Antec P182) to a Antec Twelve hundred, and i was amazed by the results. The temps went down by 20-25C. Although not a Lian Li or a TJ10, the twelve hundred is good at cooling.

LabShark 04-06-10 12:42 PM

I had trouble keeping my 3x 280s cool - even in my Lian Li. I finally went with Quad 295s and spread my 280s out in backup machines. But in lieu of that - any kind of air moving is helpful.

Revs 04-06-10 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 2227269)
One of the Scyth Ultra Kaze will do it nicely. I'm using 2 of the 3000 rpm versions on my CPU heatsink and a good fan controller. They pump some serious air, even at low fan speeds.

Recently got a few Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm fans myself and they're superb. Very good with static resistance, really quiet and well balanced. Scythe is good stuff :).

Roliath 04-06-10 01:33 PM

Thanks Everyone :)

I need to look up the specs on those fans' you suggested. I have everything in a LIAN LI PC-7B plus II, and I scythe s-flex g's as my front intake and on my lian li drive cage (ex-34?).

onmikesline 04-06-10 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roliath (Post 2227711)
Thanks Everyone :)

I need to look up the specs on those fans' you suggested. I have everything in a LIAN LI PC-7B plus II, and I scythe s-flex g's as my front intake and on my lian li drive cage (ex-34?).

omg, i bet the room that has your pc is really hot?

Roliath 04-06-10 06:24 PM

Okay I love your avatar.

I came home for lunch, I turned on the PC and went to my afternoon client which is like 5 minutes from my house. I came back 3 hours later, and **** the room was HOTHOTHOTHOTHOT. I checked temps and they were fine, i7 idling at high 40's (normal for me) and gpu's all at 51/48/40. Keep in mind there was no ceiling fan or a/c on in my house for the time. Around load they are 94/88/72.

I have a dell 840 sitting right next to my gaming computer that runs 24/7, but it doesn't get hot and is pretty silent (i swapped out the stock fans).

I need to order a new intake fan tonight, and possibly a side intake fan and mount to my side panel.

ninja edit: I only turn on my gaming pc a few times during the week, I work soley off my mbp, and vm's from my server. so its not like its running for 9 hrs a day, at the most it will see a total of maybe 15~20 hrs of uptime throughout the week.