nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Official SSD Club (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149826)

DiscipleDOC 04-08-10 09:01 AM

The Official SSD Club
 
I created this thread for those who already purchased an SSD to post your results and your findings on how to get the drive working efficiently. Also, post your questions for others to be able to help you in your decision on getting an SSD or help troubleshoot the one you have. ;)

EDIT: Quote from slaWter:
Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2231035)
The Intel X25 thread is full of important info and benchmarks:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119130

DD, can you add it to your first post please? Could be helpful...


Jon 04-08-10 09:27 AM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
http://www.kobaltcomputers.co.uk/for...3&d=1270679974

Got my X25-M yesterday. Going to fit a second one the weekend... slowest 2 days ever.

Maverick123w 04-08-10 09:31 AM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
I've been a member of the ssd club for about 2 weeks so far. I purchased the cheapest of the intel drives (X25v 40GB) and it is easily the best $125 I have ever spent on my computer.

It has really spoiled me. Everything I work on here at work now feels SLLLOOOW. It doesn't matter if it's a fresh core i7 build or w/e. If it has a mechanical drive it feels ancient.

The 1 and only issue I'm currently having, is that when I have the AMD AHCI driver installed, the intel toolbox no longer works. I have to uninstall the ahci drivers to run the toolbox, so I'm not positive if trim is running or not... (is there a way to check this?)

I'm getting roughly 190MB/sec reads and 45MB/sec writes which are both above spec after doing some tweaking so I couldn't be happier.

Jon 04-08-10 09:39 AM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick123w (Post 2229047)
The 1 and only issue I'm currently having, is that when I have the AMD AHCI driver installed, the intel toolbox no longer works. I have to uninstall the ahci drivers to run the toolbox, so I'm not positive if trim is running or not... (is there a way to check this?).

From what I've read only the microsoft ahci driver passes trim to the drive in windows 7. Unfortunately the only way I can think of to see if trim is working is to benchmark the drive, then run the trim from the toolbox and compare the results. If performance goes up then it needed a trim and therefore wasn't being done by the OS. But I'm trying not to worry too much in case I drive myself crazy with it!

newparad1gm 04-08-10 09:45 AM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
Rocking my Intel X-25M 160GB here as my primary drive. Although I honestly haven't seen much improvement in startup time, as my RAID 0 Seagates were plenty fast already. Same thing with gaming loading, as levels and gaming assets are largely sequential file accesses that don't benefit much from the fast random access times on the SSD. Its all the little things like opening and running Firefox, and opening Office and other productivity apps that I put on the SSD that improve, and searching for files has improved, even after disabling Indexing.

And honestly, after reading horror stories on SSDs failing and having problems, Intel and maybe OCZ are the only brands I trust right now. Once Intel comes out with its SATA III SSDs, I'll probably do a mobo upgrade and grab one of those.

Maverick123w 04-08-10 11:03 AM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon (Post 2229053)
From what I've read only the microsoft ahci driver passes trim to the drive in windows 7. Unfortunately the only way I can think of to see if trim is working is to benchmark the drive, then run the trim from the toolbox and compare the results. If performance goes up then it needed a trim and therefore wasn't being done by the OS. But I'm trying not to worry too much in case I drive myself crazy with it!

With the ms ahci driver the system takes 2x longer to boot :/

I haven't noticed a performance drop when benchmarking yet so hopefully it's ok.

Roliath 04-08-10 11:24 AM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
Great idea for a thread!

I've been rocking my 160GB Intel G1 SSD on my Macbook Pro for a few months now, I have 3 80GB G1's in raid 0 (670mb reads, maxes out ich10r gotta love it) on my gaming rig.

I've always wondered, what would be the best way to perform maintenance on my 160gb, should I just secure erase the entire thing. I wish intel/apple had support for mac's.

Mr Bigman 04-08-10 02:37 PM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
Good topic DD.

I been using the OCZ 128 gig ones for awhile now in raid with 2 xraptors 300 and a couple of black editon drivers and seems to work good now i have no sata ports left on my x58 shovs.

Roadhog 04-08-10 03:11 PM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
I have 2, 120GB OCZ Aglilitys in RAID 0. Pretty decent speeds I guess...

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/3452/atto15.jpg

Mr Bigman 04-08-10 08:42 PM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
What modes ya using slim?

I use the ich10 controller with em at raid 0 seems good and yea windows loads fast as hell over the machanical drives did.

Roadhog 04-10-10 01:16 PM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bigman (Post 2229555)
What modes ya using slim?

I use the ich10 controller with em at raid 0 seems good and yea windows loads fast as hell over the machanical drives did.

Same.

DiscipleDOC 04-12-10 01:17 PM

Re: The Official SSD Club
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2231035)
The Intel X25 thread is full of important info and benchmarks:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119130

DD, can you add it to your first post please? Could be helpful...

Done. ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.