nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tearing in all video with driver 195.36.15 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149904)

Eithel 04-10-10 10:45 AM

Tearing in all video with driver 195.36.15

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone!

I have a nvidia gt 240 card and in all video (using totem or mplayer) I have tearing problem.
I haven't compiz or compositing manager actives.
When I use vdpau with mplayer the tearing is worse.

How can I solve ?

I attach xorg and Xorg.0.log

P.Kosunen 04-10-10 11:01 AM

Re: Tearing in all video with driver 195.36.15

Code:

Section "Extensions"
    Option        "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Add this to xorg.conf.

Eithel 04-10-10 11:34 AM

ok now it works...

But if i want compositing manager actives and no tearing ?
(i don't use compiz, only metacity compositing manager)

Eithel 04-10-10 01:57 PM

I have made more tests...

if i add this :
Code:

Section "Extensions"
    Option        "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

in xorg.conf, totem still have tearing but the problem is present on the upper part of monitor (mplayer is fine).

So i have removed Composite Option in Xorg and i have played some video.
Well, the problem is always present if video is on upper part of monitor (totem and mplayer).

If i enabled "compositing manager" in metacity problem is in all video (everywhere in the monitor).

Any ideas to solve the problem ?

gradinaruvasile 04-11-10 07:28 AM

Do not use metacity's compositing manager. It is a software-based solution unlike compiz. It kills video playback.
Compiz on the other hand can be configured to le video playback bypass it - when i used vdpau with compiz i had no tearing (also make sure in compiz that the "sync to vblank" option is selected). Without compiz (not installed) i had tearing that was solved only by disabling the compositing extension altogether.

If you use xv for output (totem, vlc etc), do the following:

launch gstreamer-properties either in a terminal or by pressing alt+f2. Go to the video tab and select the "x window system (x11/xshm/xv)" plugin and select device "nv17 video texture" and make sure in nvidia-settings that you have selected "sync to vblank" in "xserver xvideo" settings.

Bottom line: best video playback and performance is obtained with disabling the composite extension.

franzf 04-11-10 10:13 AM

Same here :(
GT220, latest nvidia-drivers. Using KWin (kde-4.4.2), Compositing enabled.
In both KWin-configuration and nvidia-settings, VSync is enabled.
mplayer with vdpau shows tearing on the upper ~3cm of the video, same with vlc.
I tried several Video Outputs - all with tearing :(

Eithel 04-11-10 10:31 AM

Using compiz (following gradinaruvasile's suggestions ) or without any effects video playback is ok only in video is not on upper part of monitor.

So the problem is: why does the tearing present only on upper part of monitor ?

gradinaruvasile 04-11-10 12:51 PM

I had the same tearing line (on all 3 computers i use), but it seems it is not related to the video's height, but to the total screen height - i had a wide screen movie that had no tearing, yet the others that were higher had the tearing line, almost in the same position.

Anyways, i solved it by disabling the xservers composite extension in xorg.conf.
It worked on all 3 computers - Nvidia 210, Nvidia 8200 IGP, Nvidia Quadro 135M cards running 195.36.15 driver on Debian Squeeze (Gnome). Note that i never installed Compiz on these Debian running boxes.
I tested vdpau with compiz a while back, using Ubuntu 9.04 and older drivers. I did not have the 210 card back then.

theDOC 04-12-10 05:56 AM

The only way I got a tear free experience when in compiz was using xbmc. It can alter the video speed slightly, so that its framerate matches the refreshrate of the monitor.