nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   No "Overscan compensation" option in nvidia-settings (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150170)

BetterSense 04-19-10 06:51 PM

No "Overscan compensation" option in nvidia-settings
 
I'm running a fresh Karmic install. Installed the proprietary driver through Ubuntu, then later installed the latest Nvidia driver using the Nvidia installer. I have an 8400GS graphics card, hooked up via DVI to a Sony HS420 TV. Overscan is severe and I can't read my subtitles.

Others have told me that nvidia-settings is supposed to have a slider for overscan compensation, but mine does not. I have run apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-settings, but the slider is still not there.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../snapshot1.png

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../snapshot2.png

Any ideas?

AaronP 04-20-10 01:06 AM

Re: No "Overscan compensation" option in nvidia-settings
 
Not all GPUs can perform overscan compensation at all modes. It depends on the internal bandwidth of various parts of the GPU. It appears that your TV mode can't be scaled on that GPU due to hardware limitations. I apologize for the inconvenience.

BetterSense 04-20-10 08:23 AM

Re: No "Overscan compensation" option in nvidia-settings
 
Is there another Nvidia card that would allow me to set overscan compensation? How can I know before I buy if it will allow overscan compensation?

Is there a modeline I can set so that this card can allow overscan compensation? I'm only watching SD video; I don't need 1900xx desktop resolution.

AaronP 04-20-10 12:16 PM

Re: No "Overscan compensation" option in nvidia-settings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BetterSense (Post 2236570)
Is there another Nvidia card that would allow me to set overscan compensation? How can I know before I buy if it will allow overscan compensation?

I'm afraid I don't know. It depends on a lot of factors that you can't really tell just from looking at a description of the card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetterSense (Post 2236570)
Is there a modeline I can set so that this card can allow overscan compensation? I'm only watching SD video; I don't need 1900xx desktop resolution.

Yeah, you ought to be able to set a lower resolution mode. You may need to enable the "ExactModeTimingsDVI" option and disable the "Full GPU Scaling" checkbox in nvidia-settings to make it drive the TV at a lower resolution.

_john_i_ 04-22-10 03:04 PM

Re: No "Overscan compensation" option in nvidia-settings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BetterSense (Post 2236235)
I'm running a fresh Karmic install. Installed the proprietary driver through Ubuntu, then later installed the latest Nvidia driver using the Nvidia installer. I have an 8400GS graphics card, hooked up via DVI to a Sony HS420 TV. Overscan is severe and I can't read my subtitles.

Others have told me that nvidia-settings is supposed to have a slider for overscan compensation, but mine does not. I have run apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-settings, but the slider is still not there.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../snapshot1.png

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../snapshot2.png

Any ideas?

Check the settings in the TV itself. My TV (philips 47"), has an option for "PC" mode on the HDMI ports. If I set it to "PC" mode, there is no overscan at all, and it works like a regular flat panel monitor for a computer.

psychotical 10-03-10 06:09 AM

Re: No "Overscan compensation" option in nvidia-settings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronP (Post 2236419)
Not all GPUs can perform overscan compensation at all modes. It depends on the internal bandwidth of various parts of the GPU. It appears that your TV mode can't be scaled on that GPU due to hardware limitations. I apologize for the inconvenience.

What's strange though is that i can enable Overscan Compensation in the Nvidia Control Panel while in Windows running at my TVs native resolution (1280x720), but i cannot do the same in Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) when running the same resolution on the same TV set.

Using version 195.36.24-0ubuntu1~10.04 of the linux nvidia drivers.

Is there a known disparity between the windows and linux drivers in this regard?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.