nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   My GTX 480 died -- A reliability study. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150431)

OzoZoz 04-28-10 05:56 AM

My GTX 480 died -- A reliability study.

Guys,

I just received a pair of Galaxy GTX 480 (i.e. two of them).
I used them sporadically for 2-3 days without any issue.
Then, after many consecutive hours of running a 3D app (maybe 10 or 20 hours) one of the card died. The card would still work for 2D, but would immediately hang the computer as soon as it starts running any 3D application. The other card still works fine.

Did anyone else also have reliability issues with their new GTX 480?

Everyone who got h/w problems of any kind with their GTX 480, please post about your experience. It would be interresting to hear about them all.

Thanks,

Ozo.

Bearclaw 04-28-10 06:44 AM

Re: My GTX 480 died -- A reliability study.

Hmm, I don't have one so I can't really guess but that's terrible. Hope you contact Galaxy and get it replaced.

OzoZoz 04-28-10 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw (Post 2241353)
Hmm, I don't have one so I can't really guess but that's terrible. Hope you contact Galaxy and get it replaced.

I had good service from both Galaxy and Tigerdirect and the card is already returned for refund. But that being said, it does not look good reliability-wise.

Ozo.

WeReWoLf 04-28-10 07:34 AM

Most users won't come across the "dodgy" batch, mainly because they're far and few between. It's just a shame that there are some bad ones that slip through the cracks.

Q 04-28-10 07:47 AM

Put them in another system before you say its the hardware. At the very least, try completely wiping the drivers and reinstalling. I'm not saying that it is definitively NOT the card, but I'd rather you be sure first before going through a painful RMA process. It might just be the drivers - NV has had a few bumps in the road recently in that regard.

Bearclaw 04-28-10 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzoZoz (Post 2241385)
I had good service from both Galaxy and Tigerdirect and the card is already returned for refund. But that being said, it does not look good reliability-wise.

Ozo.

Good to hear. :)

I've never heard of the brand Galaxy but if you are getting a refund/new card, awesome.

wheeljack12 04-28-10 07:59 AM

the only problem I have had is with my power supply. I have two zotac gtx 480's and until recent had a evga gts 250 for physx. Well, my systems bios would not recognize boot drives, games and windows loaded/booted slowly. As soon as I took out the gts 250, everything was fine. It gets me that my power supply is listed to handle three gtx 480's on nvidia's sli zone, but I can't get two and a physx card to work on mine. Those gtx 480's are power hogs I must say. I use a silverstone strider 1500 watt power supply with 110 (120 max)amps.

mailman2 04-28-10 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzoZoz (Post 2241385)

Ozo.

Will since yours is the first and ONLY card to die... doesn't look like a reliability issue. You got one bad card. Big F'ing deal.

I haven't seen anyone anywhere else have a card die on them. One card on the whole internet and we've got a reliability issue? Don't cry wolf.

Bearclaw 04-28-10 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mailman2 (Post 2241412)
Will since yours is the first and ONLY card to die... doesn't look like a reliability issue. You got one bad card. Big F'ing deal.

I haven't seen anyone anywhere else have a card die on them. One card on the whole internet and we've got a reliability issue? Don't cry wolf.

:rofl

CaptNKILL 04-28-10 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mailman2 (Post 2241412)

I have to agree here.

It certainly sucks, but this is also the first time I've heard of a defective Fermi. If it was a common issue I'm sure we'd be hearing about it constantly from the anti-nvidia crowd.

Slytat 04-28-10 04:00 PM

I'll chuck my 2c in as well :)

1 defective 480 does not a 'reliability study' make.

Bearclaw 04-28-10 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL

I have to agree here.

It certainly sucks, but this is also the first time I've heard of a defective Fermi. If it was a common issue I'm sure we'd be hearing about it constantly from the anti-nvidia crowd.

Like the issue with the 8800s when they first cane out. All those bad transistor issues... Yikes. :lol: