nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Nforce sounds like chipmunks? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15054)

AnvilDemon 07-19-03 03:07 AM

Nforce sounds like chipmunks? (Fixed) Now new problem.. :(

Well. I just spent the past 3 days getting my Adaptec 1210SA properly configured under RH8. No support for RH9 yet :mad:
Well, everything is done and I decided to load up some of my games to test out my new configuration. Here is where the problem starts, Majesty and a few other games have sound wich sounds like they are talking very fast, kinda like a chipmunk.

I have the 4363 vid drivers, and the 0261 nforce drivers. I used the .tar.gz of the drivers to install them.
I have had problems running the make, make install command with the full .tar file. So when I extract it I will go into each individual folder instead and do a make, make install, for each component on it's own, i.e. nvnet, nvagp (wich I know I don't have to do), and nvaudio.

Like I said the sound works but it sounds really fast like a chipmunk. Is there any way to fix this?

TIA

AnvilDemon 07-19-03 03:54 AM

Well, let me add to this mess I have. I have found I have no audio with my Nforce2 board (NF7-S) at all unless I start Maelstrom wich came with my distribution (RH8).
After I start this game and exit I then get sound from all my other games but it is the chipmunk sound I descibed before.

Also, where can I get OSS or Also drivers from so I can try those. I am kinda new to linux yet and don't know where all of the resources are yet.

AnvilDemon 07-19-03 05:43 AM

Well, another update........
I have gotten it so that I aways have sound in all my games but the same base problem still applies.

CHIPMUNKS driving me mad..........................

hachre 07-20-03 08:35 AM

Do you use the SPDIF?

If not you can try disabling the SPDIF out thus reducing the sample rate from 48000 to 44000....

It is done with a module parameter when you load the module...

I don't remind the command or the module parameter but I read it somewhere in the README

AnvilDemon 07-26-03 12:41 PM

Thanks, hachre, I finally got rid of that annoying sound coming from my speakers. The sound does seem to be alot better.

I do have a new problem with the sound though. Everytime I load up and enter RH8 I need to goto the terminal and "modprobe nvaudio" to bring it up so it works.

Is there a way to make nvaudio module load with RH8?

I almost think at this point my sound config is fubared but I want to know if this is possible to fix before I do a fresh install and start from scratch again. It would just be so nice for the sound to load normal now. :) :(

TIA

AnvilDemon 07-26-03 12:46 PM

I get this error when I use gnome-volume-control.

I was not able to open your audio device.
Please check that you have permission to open /dev/mixer and make sure you have sound support compiled into your kernel.

hachre 07-26-03 03:42 PM

Yes, you have to load nvaudio manually.

Every distribution offers a way to load modules automatically... You have to find out how Red Hat is doing this...

/etc/rc.local or something like this could be the right file to enter the command...

Don't really know... In Gentoo you have to enter "nvaudio" in /etc/modules.autoload but I don't think RH is doing it the same way..

bahamot 07-27-03 02:44 AM

in rh u just need to modify ur /etc/modules.conf

AnvilDemon 07-27-03 05:57 AM

This is what my /etc/modules.conf has in it right now.
It looks like it already has the "nvaudio" in it.

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias scsi_hostadapter1 aar1210
alias eth0 nvnet
alias sound-slot-1 nvaudio
post-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

I still need to modprobe for it though. Is there anything I need to change in it or is it setup correctly?

I really appreciate the help, thanks.

bahamot 07-28-03 12:05 AM

that looks fine......
just bought SBLive!, i like it a hell lot than soundstorm in linux