nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Installing nvidia driver on Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150545)

Arup 05-01-10 04:29 AM

Installing nvidia driver on Lucid Lynx 10.04

This is for those planning to use latest nvidia drivers from nvidia's site. Its usually in form of run file. Why would one use this when Ubuntu provides repositories for nvidia drivers on their own. Well to me its matter of getting latest, Lucid seems to have addressed this issue somewhat by providing with nvidia-current which installs a slightly older 195.36.15 driver but for those wishing to stay current or on hardware like GT400 etc. which needs latest nvidia forceware, this is the only way. There are ppa's as well like Brandon Sniders nvidia-vdpau or Javenyard's one but then you are dependent on the person updating it and also most ppa's carry extra stuff which you may or may not wish to install.

For Lucid we have to make mods due to it having nouveau driver by default which conflicts with nvidia installer.

The installation credit goes solely to Andy_Boy at Ubuntu forums. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1467074

For basics start with

sudo apt-get install build-essential
then do a gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

add these following entries to the bottom of the page that has opened up, make sure to leave a blank space from the last entry before copy pasting these.

blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

Save the file and then do a sudo apt-get –purge remove nvidia*

This will remove all nvidai drivers and other stuff installed by Ubuntu.

Reboot and you will be in low graphics mode, don't panic, select exit to console login.

Make sure your nvidia driver is in HOME folder and nowhere else as this makes it far easier.

Login to terminal

Do a sudo service gdm stop

then do a sudo sh NVIDIA and hit tab, the driver is automatically picked up.

Say yes to all prompts and when done do a sudo reboot, you will be right back to your desktop with shiny new nvidia driver.

For those intending to run x32 programs under x64 like Google Earth etc. its recommended that you install the program before installing this driver as the symlings to libglso is picked up correctly. If you install afterwards, just remove nvidia driver by going into console and reboot and reinstall again and Google Earth will pick up the symlink.

NvFuchs 05-01-10 05:59 AM

Re: Installing nvidia driver on Linux

As one of the official loco supporters of Ubuntu:

Please keep in mind that by following these instructions the driver will not be picked up by dkms, and each time a kernel update is installed (which might happen a lot, depending on bugs found / security updates) the driver won't be loaded and you'll end up with either failsafe mode or even no graphical interface at all. You'll have to rebuild the driver against the new kernel.

Please do not install the driver manually. If you, for any reason, absolutely need the newest driver, please use ppas like X-Swat or the VDPAU ppa. Usually they update to the latest drivers some days after release.

Thanks for saving us time by not creating the same support cases over and over.

If you want to install manually anyway, please keep at least the .run file on your local disk, in case when you don't have an internet connection after a kernel update. So you can re-install it (sh NVIDIA-Linux ...) and at least get your graphical environment back .

Kind regards

Fuchs

PS: To the OP:

1) Please inform people about this issue when writing such how tos. You might be able to handle the situation after a kernel update, users new to linux maybe don't.

2) Please change the thread title to "on Ubuntu Linux", as your howto works for ubuntu (and maybe other debian based distributions), but clearly not for distributions like SuSE, Fedora Core, Mandriva, Arch, Gentoo, ...

3) Did you see that nvidia already has an official thread on "how to install the current driver"? It is sticky, handles more distributions and has warnings for the known issues. If you think that this thread contains wrong or old information, please suggest an update instead of opening a new thread which will end up on page 5 after a few days / weeks.

Arup 05-01-10 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvFuchs (Post 2243549)
As one of the official loco supporters of Ubuntu:

Please keep in mind that by following these instructions the driver will not be picked up by dkms, and each time a kernel update is installed (which might happen a lot, depending on bugs found / security updates) the driver won't be loaded and you'll end up with either failsafe mode or even no graphical interface at all. You'll have to rebuild the driver against the new kernel.

Please do not install the driver manually. If you, for any reason, absolutely need the newest driver, please use ppas like X-Swat or the VDPAU ppa. Usually they update to the latest drivers some days after release.

Thanks for saving us time by not creating the same support cases over and over.

If you want to install manually anyway, please keep at least the .run file on your local disk, in case when you don't have an internet connection after a kernel update. So you can re-install it (sh NVIDIA-Linux ...) and at least get your graphical environment back .

Kind regards

Fuchs

PS: To the OP:

1) Please inform people about this issue when writing such how tos. You might be able to handle the situation after a kernel update, users new to linux maybe don't.

2) Please change the thread title to "on Ubuntu Linux", as your howto works for ubuntu (and maybe other debian based distributions), but clearly not for distributions like SuSE, Fedora Core, Mandriva, Arch, Gentoo, ...

3) Did you see that nvidia already has an official thread on "how to install the current driver"? It is sticky, handles more distributions and has warnings for the known issues. If you think that this thread contains wrong or old information, please suggest an update instead of opening a new thread which will end up on page 5 after a few days / weeks.

First of all, this is nvidia site where users are well aware of the dkms issue, anyone who installs it via run file knows quite well that everytime there is a kernel update, nvidia drivers need to be reinstalled.

Its so common among ubuntu users to peddle ppa or force users into using old nvidia drivers via jockey, whats the point of getting cutting edge card only to be hampered by a old driver may I ask? Also there is absolutely no issue whatsoever using nvidia drivers via run file except for the dkms one. Please don't recommend ppas run by tom, dick and harry which are updated on their whims. Also most ppa come with unnecessary stuff which go to ruin installed apps and files, why create more issues? Why not source the driver directly from the manufacturer, after all thats what we do in Windows world and guess what, thats the reason many prefer Windows. Xswat has 185 series, thanks for recommending it, anyone with GTX 400 cards will only see a blank screen, nvidia-vdpau ppa has older 195 series driver and also mplayer and other stuff, now why would anyone wish to install mplayer from a ppa when a stable tested mplayer already exists in ubuntu repos?

As for the official install thread, it doesn't work for Lucid, rather it will cause big grief if followed.

FYI, the consensus on Ubuntu forum is that the nvidia file installed via run is running better than the one installed via repos.

The title was my oversight, I will change it.

NvFuchs 05-01-10 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arup (Post 2243553)
First of all, this is nvidia site where users are well aware of the dkms issue, anyone who installs it via run file knows quite well that everytime there is a kernel update, nvidia drivers need to be reinstalled.

Neither the support requests related from this on this site nor the support requests on the (german) ubuntu forums let me think that this is the case. Keep in mind, there might at least be one user who isn't aware of it, he will run in troubles when following your howto. But as you gladly agree that I forward all users with problems related to manual driver installs to you, this is not a problem for me. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Its so common among ubuntu users to peddle ppa or force users into using old nvidia drivers via jockey, whats the point of getting cutting edge card only to be hampered by a old driver may I ask?
The fact that you might be interested in a stable driver, which has been tested for the specific distribution you want to run it on. Many new drivers come with features which a user is not interested in (e.g. support for new cards, support for new kernels/xorg versions, which ubuntu doesn't update during a release cycle anyway etc.)

Quote:

Also there is absolutely no issue whatsoever using nvidia drivers via run file except for the dkms one.
I consider an issue which might lead a user to no graphical interface at all as a serious issue.

Quote:

[... (removed various subliminal insults against ppa maintainers, who use their spare time to create packages for users)] after all thats what we do in Windows world and guess what, thats the reason many prefer Windows.
Basically I don't care about the Windows world here, as we are talking about Ubuntu. Personally I get the latest driver because I am using Gentoo, but this is not interesting as well, as we are still talking about Ubuntu. Different operating systems, different ways of getting things done.

Regarding the repos: as I said they might take some time to update the packages, but this is (in my opinion) an acceptable time. If a user needs bleeding edge, there is the possibility to install manually, but in that case the user should be warned about known issues.

If the official sticky does not work for lucid (please re-read my post, I clearly stated this already) then propose an update to the people responsible for it. Your thread is not sticky it will luckily get lost below the other threads in a few days anyway.

Quote:

FYI, the consensus on Ubuntu forum is that the nvidia file installed via run is running better than the one installed via repos.

The title was my oversight, I will change it.
FYI, as already mentioned I am an official supporter in a Loco (therefore an official forum as well), and the consensus is that we have too much support requests originating in users updating the driver manually because they found how-tos on the web.

Fuchs

Arup 05-01-10 08:12 PM

Re: Installing nvidia driver on Lucid

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvFuchs (Post 2243611)
Neither the support requests related from this on this site nor the support requests on the (german) ubuntu forums let me think that this is the case. Keep in mind, there might at least be one user who isn't aware of it, he will run in troubles when following your howto. But as you gladly agree that I forward all users with problems related to manual driver installs to you, this is not a problem for me. Thanks in advance.

The fact that you might be interested in a stable driver, which has been tested for the specific distribution you want to run it on. Many new drivers come with features which a user is not interested in (e.g. support for new cards, support for new kernels/xorg versions, which ubuntu doesn't update during a release cycle anyway etc.)

I consider an issue which might lead a user to no graphical interface at all as a serious issue.

Basically I don't care about the Windows world here, as we are talking about Ubuntu. Personally I get the latest driver because I am using Gentoo, but this is not interesting as well, as we are still talking about Ubuntu. Different operating systems, different ways of getting things done.

Regarding the repos: as I said they might take some time to update the packages, but this is (in my opinion) an acceptable time. If a user needs bleeding edge, there is the possibility to install manually, but in that case the user should be warned about known issues.

If the official sticky does not work for lucid (please re-read my post, I clearly stated this already) then propose an update to the people responsible for it. Your thread is not sticky it will luckily get lost below the other threads in a few days anyway.

FYI, as already mentioned I am an official supporter in a Loco (therefore an official forum as well), and the consensus is that we have too much support requests originating in users updating the driver manually because they found how-tos on the web.

Fuchs

Stable driver also means the latest driver as previous bugs and issues are weeded out, in Intrepid the so called stable driver had a rendering bug with Firefox that made it unusable and yet, Ubuntu issued no updates.

You are correct about the sticky part but then this is entirely up to the nvidia forum mods, I can only make suggestions.

I can understand your point of people ruining their installs with incorrect procedures and asking for support at the LoCo but even then, Linux and Ubuntu is about freedom so the choice of installing the latest drivers always has to be there, I am sure you will agree with that.

zim2dive 05-01-10 08:53 PM

We're a week, if not two, since 195.36.24 was released (as pre-release status). Still not a single PPA (that I can find) with a version for Karmic.

So if these repos are not going to keep up, then yes, we will need to be able to install outside the Repository system.

You can fix this, by having a bleeding edge repo (and I REALLY wish you would) and let the buyer beware. But until you do, please save the self-righteous protectionism. We can go to the other major OSes for that.

EDIT: to the OP.. THANK YOU for the info.. I've been holding off my update wondering how to get around this new gem that I noticed in the release notes.

ledoc 05-01-10 09:20 PM

It should be relatively simple to build 195.36.24 packages yourself, using older packages as template. There is some fiddling involved, but nothing that is too complicated to figure out. I've been doing that for years (on debian) and always get the newest version that way, handled properly by the packaging system.

Arup 05-02-10 12:31 AM

If Ubuntu makes an effort to release to latest nvidia drivers after two weeks from their official release, we would all be happy campers installing from the repos, till then, this is the only way I am afraid.

Arup 05-03-10 08:15 PM

Update latest Xswat ppa has updated to latest nvidia driver 195.36.24 for Lucid, this is indeed a good trend and hope they keep this up so that users don't have to resort to alternate methods of using latest drivers.

ppa for x https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

gradinaruvasile 05-03-10 08:46 PM

I wonder, the xorg-server too will be upgraded with that ppa? Can that create additional problems?
No one can make a clean PPA with only the latest video drivers in it?

PS. I use the .run drivers since i installed Ubuntu for the first time (7.10). And now i use Debian and still the installer worked perfectly well on all computers i used it (and still do). Better than the .debs. After kernel update you must reboot anyway, drop to the root prompt, install the driver, press ctrl-d and thats it. Also i d/l ed from somewhere from the Ubuntu forums a dkms install script that worked well when i tested it.

Arup 05-04-10 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile (Post 2244827)
I wonder, the xorg-server too will be upgraded with that ppa? Can that create additional problems?
No one can make a clean PPA with only the latest video drivers in it?

PS. I use the .run drivers since i installed Ubuntu for the first time (7.10). And now i use Debian and still the installer worked perfectly well on all computers i used it (and still do). Better than the .debs. After kernel update you must reboot anyway, drop to the root prompt, install the driver, press ctrl-d and thats it. Also i d/l ed from somewhere from the Ubuntu forums a dkms install script that worked well when i tested it.

I have used run file since SuSE 8, then on PCLOS and finally on Ubuntu with no issues but Ubuntu devs tend to get anal on this issue so the ppa is for them. You have no worries with the xorg update in that ppa, if it applies to your distro, there is a reason for it, also this ppa is for stable releases and not cutting edge so you can be rest assured that issues shouldn't arise normally.

gradinaruvasile 05-04-10 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arup (Post 2244926)
You have no worries with the xorg update in that ppa, if it applies to your distro, there is a reason for it, also this ppa is for stable releases and not cutting edge so you can be rest assured that issues shouldn't arise normally.

I dont have since i use Debian... But i did mess up a few times in Ubuntu my dependencies by adding various PPAs that offered updates for key system packages out of the main repositories. I had to redo everything steb by step.
I reckon apt-pinning might help, but the problem is that everything is just put in "main" and filtering packages from larger repos is time consuming.