nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150716)

GitDat 05-06-10 04:33 PM

Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
Anyone figure out why temps increase 10 when a 2nd or 3rd monitor is attached? This is just sitting at the desktop too :thumbdwn:

Will the infamous 256 drivers fix this glitch? :p

Ninja Prime 05-06-10 04:39 PM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
The reason is, when the card detects multiple monitors, it clocks the GPU up to 405 MHZ and the RAM up to full 3D speeds. The reason for that though is anyone's guess...

As I said before, I can see the the reasoning for x2 the speed for x2 the pixels or so, but why it needs to clock up over 8 times and run the RAM up to full speed is beyond me.

mailman2 05-06-10 05:42 PM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GitDat (Post 2246750)
Anyone figure out why temps increase 10 when a 2nd or 3rd monitor is attached? This is just sitting at the desktop too :thumbdwn:

Will the infamous 256 drivers fix this glitch? :p

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1271/1/

Thought that was fixed in the bios already...

newparad1gm 05-06-10 05:57 PM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mailman2 (Post 2246797)
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1271/1/

Thought that was fixed in the bios already...

No, the issue was that there was no change to the fan profile if multiple monitors were connected, so even though the card clocked up, the fan did not increase accordingly, and the card got ridiculously hot even in idle. The BIOS fix just makes it so that the fan ramps up when multiple monitors are connected. So the card still gets hotter, just not as much because the fan speeds up.

LurkerLito 05-07-10 09:23 AM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
Does this temp increase also happen when a monitor is plugged in but off? Just wondering. I am still thinking about picking up a 470 or 480 but I am hesitant with the summer coming up. I can feel the heat from the PC with a 260 during the summer even with the AC on.

sancheuz 05-11-10 11:57 AM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
I currently run a gtx 480 with dual monitors from about 8 hours a day( I freelance from home). I live in south florida and my home a/c is set to 76 F. My card idles in the lower 80's with stock fan profiles (i've tried making my own profile and it WILL cool the card further, but at the cost of extra fan noise which I cant deal with, i rather have it running couple degrees hotter, but quieter). Yes my room gets slightly hotter then my previous generation of cards, thankfully i have a clg fan. Overall, I do not recommend this card for dual monitor workstations, unless u plan on gaming on it. Now, gaming is a different story, I absolutely love the performance.

Muppet 05-12-10 12:47 AM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sancheuz (Post 2249405)
I currently run a gtx 480 with dual monitors from about 8 hours a day( I freelance from home). I live in south florida and my home a/c is set to 76 F. My card idles in the lower 80's with stock fan profiles (i've tried making my own profile and it WILL cool the card further, but at the cost of extra fan noise which I cant deal with, i rather have it running couple degrees hotter, but quieter). Yes my room gets slightly hotter then my previous generation of cards, thankfully i have a clg fan. Overall, I do not recommend this card for dual monitor workstations, unless u plan on gaming on it. Now, gaming is a different story, I absolutely love the performance.

I would wait for some updated drivers.

barood 05-16-10 02:13 PM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
do you think a driver update will fix this

I need to use multible monitors but cant with this problem while my PC working 24h a day !!

nvidia have to do something

Muppet 05-17-10 12:40 AM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barood (Post 2252391)
do you think a driver update will fix this

I need to use multiple monitors but cant with this problem while my PC working 24h a day !!

nvidia have to do something

It wouldn't surprise me. Nvidia has only released 2 drivers that are compatible with the 470 and 480. I know it can be hard, but we just have to be patient.

JasonPC 05-17-10 12:26 PM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
I believe they said there were some flickering issues when the card clocked down with two monitors and upping the idle clock is what fixes that. If you have SLI maybe try plugging the monitor into the second card?

newparad1gm 05-17-10 01:52 PM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonPC (Post 2252883)
I believe they said there were some flickering issues when the card clocked down with two monitors and upping the idle clock is what fixes that. If you have SLI maybe try plugging the monitor into the second card?

This is what I did, and it brought down temps dramatically. It increased the temp on my 2nd card a little, but the temps on my first card went wayyyy down. I now Idle at around 40-45 on my 1st card and 35-40 on my second.

JasonPC 05-17-10 03:05 PM

Re: Temperature increase with Multiple Monitors?
 
Yeah that's what I did with my 5870 and physx card. ATI cards also idle at a higher frequency, but not as bad as the nvidia 4xx series.

Also someone asked if having a second monitor powered off will change anything. No, it has to be disabled from the system, it doesn't matter if the monitor is on or off.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.