nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Which overclocking/fan utility for GTX 470 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150763)

saguy 05-08-10 02:43 AM

Which overclocking/fan utility for GTX 470

I have just received delivery of a GTX 470 and would like to know which is the best overclocking fan control utility for these cards. I am currently using Rivatuner with my GTX 275. Rivatuner has not had an update for a while so would I be better off using MSI AfterBurner - which I have never used. The fan control feature is important to me as I tend to take the cautious approach with higher speed settings than standard.

CaptNKILL 05-08-10 02:54 AM

Re: Which overclocking/fan utility for GTX 470

Definitely use the latest beta version of MSI Afterburner.

Its a fantastic program.

I've used eVGA Precision for quite a while now, but as soon as I started using Afterburner I realized that its a more powerful and flexible utility... especially for the 4xx series.

saguy 05-08-10 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 2247749)
Definitely use the latest beta version of MSI Afterburner.

Its a fantastic program.

I've used eVGA Precision for quite a while now, but as soon as I started using Afterburner I realized that its a more powerful and flexible utility... especially for the 4xx series.

I can't get it to work with my card. I tried using the both the beta and release versions with the latest whql and beta graphics drivers :(

1.6.0 beta does not report the gpu clock which is greyed out.

1.5.1 has a whole bunch of jumbled numbers for the clocks.

I looks like I can forget overclocking this card for now - I am thinking of RMA'ing it.

Rummy 05-08-10 09:29 AM

Also Precision does not work with the Steam overlay but Afterburner does,:)

Using ver 1.51 here with 2 470's

fasedww 05-08-10 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saguy (Post 2247803)
I can't get it to work with my card. I tried using the both the beta and release versions with the latest whql and beta graphics drivers :(

I looks like I can forget overclocking this card for now - I am thinking of RMA'ing it.

You can't adjust the gpu clock, only by moving the shader clock.

For the GTX 400's, core clock = 1/2 the shader clocks. Adjusting the shader clocks is now the way to adjust core clocks for the GTX 400's.

Bah! 05-08-10 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saguy (Post 2247803)

Why would you RMA your card because of a software problem that has nothing to do with the card?

As for the rest, listen to fasedww.

saguy 05-08-10 11:44 AM

I have discovered that AfterBurner 1.6.0 does actually work. Even though the GPU box is empty and greyed out I am able to set the GPU clock in the shader box even though the value displayed is double the actual value. The shader is linked to the GPU clock which you apply in the shader box ................ all very confusing. I am impressed with the fan setting and I don't know why Rivatuner does not use something like this.

Kaguya 05-09-10 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saguy (Post 2247872)
I have discovered that AfterBurner 1.6.0 does actually work. Even though the GPU box is empty and greyed out I am able to set the GPU clock in the shader box even though the value displayed is double the actual value. The shader is linked to the GPU clock which you apply in the shader box ................ all very confusing. I am impressed with the fan setting and I don't know why Rivatuner does not use something like this.

Read post #5

mailman2 05-09-10 12:51 PM

+1 afterburner

Eltigre88 05-10-10 01:22 PM

What about Rivatuner it worked great for me and it has been a while so it should be even better now!:captnkill:

Logical 05-10-10 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eltigre88 (Post 2248870)
What about Rivatuner it worked great for me and it has been a while so it should be even better now!:captnkill:

I also use Rivatuner as i like having the function of setting fan speed depending on temperatures...My GTX285 fan gets to 100% a lot earlier (around 15c) than it does at default.

:D

Bah! 05-10-10 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logical (Post 2248886)
I also use Rivatuner as i like having the function of setting fan speed depending on temperatures...My GTX285 fan gets to 100% a lot earlier (around 15c) than it does at default.

:D

Afterburner has this feature as well.