nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   undefined symbol: xf86ConfigLayout (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151142)

rlx 05-20-10 01:04 AM

undefined symbol: xf86ConfigLayout

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I installed linux-2.6.34 and then found out that the NVIDIA driver I had been using with linux-2.6.32.7 (190.53) would not longer compile. The NVIDIA installer could not find the version number of Linux! This is the first time I get into this problem. So I downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA (195.36.24). That version did compile as expected. However when I did 'startx', X11 (XFree86) did not start but complained of:

dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so: undefined symbol: xf86ConfigLayout.

I have upgraded the NVIDIA driver from time to time for the last two years without problems, except for the fact that I never succeeded at compiling version 195.30 with kernel 2.6.32.7.

I need to add that I am not running a standard distribution but my system (based on Slackware) is otherwise up-to-date and fully functional.

I did the usual checks with Google but found no one else raising that problem. So I am a bit puzzled, ... and I am back to kernel 2.6.32.7.

Would anyone have an idea where xf86ConfigLayout should be defined and why I suddenly get into that problem.

Thanks,

Richard

P.S. I attach the bug report for kernel 2.6.32.7. I get the same behavior with kernel 2.6.34. I see in that report that there are complains of undefined symbols related to the dri driver but such complains can be found in reports of the nvidia 190.53 driver, and those do not prevent X11 to start and work fine; I don't believe they are related to the problem I report here.

AaronP 05-21-10 04:17 PM

Re: undefined symbol: xf86ConfigLayout

The X server is supposed to export that symbol. Please run "nm -D /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg | grep xf86ConfigLayout" and see what you get.

rlx 05-21-10 08:09 PM

Thanks,

The result is,

nm -D /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg | grep xf86ConfigLayout
082053e4 B xf86ConfigLayout

rlx 05-23-10 10:35 AM

Please disregard my last post. The bin/Xorg program I have is a leftover from a very old install and is no longer used. 'startx' calls X (not Xorg). The result I posted is meaningless and of no use.

I am still using XFree86. I guess It is the time for me to switch to Xorg.

In fact, the file X11R6/bin/Xorg I have is a leftover from an earlier (2005) install and should have been purged long ago. The later installs of XFree86 did not install bin/Xorg. I compile from CVS (I did for the last 10 years or so).

I did a fresh compile/install of XFree86 and that did not create a newer bin/Xorg.

I guess that the later 195-... series of NVIDIA drivers does not support XFree86. Is that right?

Richard

AaronP 05-23-10 11:36 AM

I'm sorry, I was looking at the wrong log file in your bug report. I apologize. Looking at the history, it looks like xf86ConfigLayout got removed for XFree86 4.5, and you're using 4.8. I don't think we can support XFree86 past the version that existed when X.Org split, so yes I would recommend switching to Xorg. I'll file a bug to get the documentation updated.

rlx 05-23-10 02:45 PM

Thanks,

I will switch to Xorg then.