nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   LED HDTVs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151183)

technoid 05-21-10 01:52 PM

LED HDTVs

I've been looking around at LED TVs and it seems they have a better picture, clarity and contrast, but I'm wondering if there's any down side to getting one. Except for cost. I've been thinking about an LG 37 inch for the bedroom. But a 40 isn't out since there's definitely more of them to pick from. So any advice on this would be appreciated.

All of them so far have been edge lit so that's the only one I have experience with. But I kind of like the idea of the edge lit LED TVs having a much lower power requirement.

breathemetal 05-21-10 08:55 PM

Re: LED HDTVs

Plasma > LED > LCD

Panasonic TCP42S2 :)

CaptNKILL 05-22-10 12:11 AM

LED is LCD.

Toss3 05-22-10 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 2255813)
LED is LCD.

+1 :lol:

technoid 05-22-10 05:36 AM

The first title I was going to use for this question was, LCD LED HDTVs. But then I thought to myself, everyone knows that so I changed it to simply LED HDTVs. I was hoping to get some feedback on what people thought of them. SO... does anyone have any experience with LCD LED HDTVs they'd like to share.

Hum... The first clue I gave that I knew LED TV was LCD LED TV was, the only ones I looked at have been edge lit. I'm a retired software engineer that worked in high technology all his life. So I still have at least half a brain :)

Edge lit LCD LED TVs seem to have a better picture but I'm looking for other opinions of them.

breathemetal 05-22-10 04:02 PM

LED better picture than Plasma?
Answer: HELL NO
And if you think so, go get your eyes checked :)

I had a 46'' LG LED before my 42'' Panny Plasma, and it buries the LG in all areas.
Bottom line is, plasma is king of PQ.

Sure, LED is lighter, thinner, "cooler", and "new tech"...but when it comes to downright awesome PQ, go plasma.

Stoneyguy 05-22-10 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breathemetal (Post 2256086)
LED better picture than Plasma?
Answer: HELL NO
Sure, LED is lighter, thinner, "cooler", and "new tech"...but when it comes to downright awesome PQ, go plasma.

Yup. Though I've seen Sharps 4 color LEDs and they give plasma a run for it's money.

breathemetal 05-22-10 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoneyguy (Post 2256124)
Yup. Though I've seen Sharps 4 color LEDs and they give plasma a run for it's money.

they may give them a run, but plasma remains king

Dr.Nick 05-23-10 12:24 PM

Don't kill the thread guys, it looks like he is set on lcd. I'm a plasma lover/user myself but I do see the benefits of lcd and why someone could prefer it.
led is definitely an improvement over ccfl but its new and you'll pay for the privilege. I'm not a big fan of current edge lit models tho; they all seem to bleed excessively around the edges in dark scenes
Check out this place. You can learn a lot with a few quick searches;)
gl

breathemetal 05-23-10 03:41 PM

+1 for AVS, and check out the High Def forums, some good info there as well.

Still, forget LCD/LED-LCD, get a Plasma and be happy!

AthlonXP1800 06-01-10 06:10 AM

After my 27 inch LCDTV died back in January when 3 out of 5 backlight LCD inverters blowed out and here was no replacement part, I went to Comet to looked around LCDTVs, LEDTVs and Plasma TVs and noticed the picture quality on LEDTVs are about the same as Plasma TVs. I noticed Plasma TVs released alots of heats 3 feets in front of me and put my hand on the screen, they are very hot and the power consumption is between 250W to 350W so really not very good place to put in bedroom and not suitable to sit in front for PC usage for all day.

I saw Sony and Samsung 32 inch LEDTVs but either are cost 899 that I cant afforded and on the other side saw Sharp LC32LE600E on sale for 449 that was in my price range then went home and checked John Lewis site that offer 5 years warranty instead of 3 years warranty at Comet then bought one at Glasgow branch.

I am very pleased with Sharp LEDTV, the picture quality is much brighter and sharper than Sony 32 inch LCDTV in other bedroom dad bought last year and did very good job displayed 1080p at native resolution 1920x1080 and texts are sharp and easy to read but it seemed Sony LCDTV cant do 1080p when it had native resolution of 1368x768, it probably only can do 720p. I tested the power consumption to compared both Sony LCDTV and Sharp LEDTV by watching TV and use PC. When watched TV, Sony LCDTV used 86W while Sharp LEDTV used 54W, on PC, Sony LCDTV still used 86W and Sharp LEDTV used only 34W which are alot lower than my old 27 inch LCDTV consumpted 100W when used PC. 100W was bit too warm for me to sit in front caused my eye strain if used PC all day but now LEDTV was fantastic with cold screen caused me no problem all day. :)

Forget Plasma TV with insanely high power consumption, watch out for OLED TVs in the next big thing in few years. (nana2)

NaitoSan 06-01-10 07:44 PM

Panasonic's Plasma TV's black level raises overtime which isn't a good thing. 2010 models are also affected by this. High power consumption and burn-in images doesn't help either.

I'm looking into getting Sharp LC-40LE820UN LED TV- their new Quattro technology is impressive, with fourth color (yellow pixel) and more than 8 million pixels comparing to 6 million pixels on other LED TVs which means picture quality is sharper, better contrast and rivals Plasma TVs. Also this LED TV uses full array LED which is better than edge lit LED.

Sharp's LC-40LE820UN LED TV already getting good reviews.