nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   310m HDMI Audio? (Dell SP2309w Monitor) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151477)

herman82 05-29-10 05:03 AM

310m HDMI Audio? (Dell SP2309w Monitor)

I have a Dell Vostro 3500 laptop with GeForce 310m discrete graphic connected to a Dell SP2309w Monitor connected via HDMI. I get video but no sound!

I don't see any HDMI devices in Sound > Playback Devices with the monitor connected or disconnected (Show Disabled Devices, Show Disconnected Devices).

I have 4 “NVIDIA High Definition Audio” devices in my Device Manager.

The NVIDIA Control Panel shows Connector: DVI-PC and im not allowed to change it.

I have HDMI drivers for my monitor and I have testes Nvidia drivers from Dell, and the current stable release from Nvidia 197.16 and the beta 257.15.

I have tried to lower the resolution of my monitor to 1366x768 but Nvidia control center always shows DVI-PC.

Has anyone been able to get audio over HDMI with a 310m? I would really appreciate help!

CaptNKILL 05-29-10 11:49 AM

Re: 310m HDMI Audio? (Dell SP2309w Monitor)

This may be a dumb question, but are you sure the monitor supports sound over HDMI? Even if it has speakers it may just support analog sound using a mini-jack. Having decoding hardware in the monitor for digital sound adds quite a bit of complexity to it I think.

EDIT: I don't even see "speakers" listed as a feature unless you have the optional sound bar:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...1&sku=320-7641

herman82 05-29-10 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 2260249)
This may be a dumb question, but are you sure the monitor supports sound over HDMI? Even if it has speakers it may just support analog sound using a mini-jack. Having decoding hardware in the monitor for digital sound adds quite a bit of complexity to it I think.

EDIT: I don't even see "speakers" listed as a feature unless you have the optional sound bar:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...1&sku=320-7641

Yes i am sure. The monitor has line in and line out and i can select HDMI as audio source in the monitor OSD options ...

Anyway, should I not be able to see the HDMI audio source in "playback devices" in Sounds? It is supposed to list even disconnected/disabled devices but still nothing shows up...

CaptNKILL 05-29-10 01:25 PM

Have you tried connecting an analog source to your monitor via line in? I really don't think that thing has speakers unless you get the sound bar for it.

EDIT: I've checked several sites now. That monitor does not have speakers, so you won't get sound from it unless you connect speakers to the line out.

herman82 05-29-10 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 2260281)
Have you tried connecting an analog source to your monitor via line in? I really don't think that thing has speakers unless you get the sound bar for it.

No the monitor dose not have build in speakers - I have separate speakers connected to the monitor.

But still, even if the monitor is connected to my computer, should I not be able to see the HDMI device in Control panel > Sounds > Playback devices?

If you have time, I would appreciate if you could look and see if you can see anything on your computer!

CaptNKILL 05-29-10 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herman82 (Post 2260288)
No the monitor dose not have build in speakers - I have separate speakers connected to the monitor.

But still, even if the monitor is connected to my computer, should I not be able to see the HDMI device in Control panel > Sounds > Playback devices?

If you have time, I would appreciate if you could look and see if you can see anything on your computer!

It would have helped to know that from the beginning. :D

But, no. My system just has "Speakers" and "SPDIF" listed as output devices. SPDIF is the digital audio output, so you'll want to use that if you have it, because the SPDIF output of your sound card generally passes through the HDMI out on your video card if you have it.

In a desktop you'd have to connect your sound card and your video card internally to pass digital audio through HDMI, but it should already be done in a laptop.

herman82 05-29-10 02:27 PM

Did you check "Show disconnected/disabled devices"? (right click in Sounds > Playback)

According to Nvidia:

Quote:

No, you do not need to connect an S/PDIF cable from your sound card to the Geforce G210, GT220 or GT240 graphics card or any newer version which has its own internal HD audio codec. NVIDIA has added an HD Audio codec right into the graphics processor of newer graphics cards therefore no longer needing the sound card to provide audio when a user is connecting the graphics card to an HDTV via an HDMI cable.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...i=&p_topview=1

Also, if you have time, could you check if you have any "NVIDIA High Definition Audio” devices in you Device Manager? I have four! Seems a bit much, bu maybe its normal?

CaptNKILL 05-30-10 08:33 AM

Even with "Show disconnected/disabled devices" checked, I still only have Speakers and SPDIF.

I also have 4 "NVIDIA High Definition Audio” in device manager, along with my X-Fi card.

herman82 05-30-10 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 2260545)
Even with "Show disconnected/disabled devices" checked, I still only have Speakers and SPDIF.

I also have 4 "NVIDIA High Definition Audio” in device manager, along with my X-Fi card.

Ahh oki

Thank you for looking!